Steering damper retaining pin removal

Singles, twins and fours.
Roderick.Bradley

Steering damper retaining pin removal

Post by Roderick.Bradley »

From which side do you tap out the pin in the bottom of the steering head (VH 1959) which retains the damper stem inside?

Roderick
ben.mitchell

Re: Steering damper retaining pin removal

Post by ben.mitchell »

Hi Rod
I don't think that it matters..although it is probably easier to do it from front to back (as in the bike) so that the yoke is easier to mount in vice jaws for the 'banging' part of the exercise, I hope all is well.
Ben
Roderick.Bradley

Post by Roderick.Bradley »

Thanks for the advice, Ben. I've only just spotted your reply so sorry for the delay in acknowledging it. I'd given up on the Forum for a while because of the straits it was in after the hackers depredations & have only just come back to it. The site is looking good now. This enquiry referred to a 1959 VH I have dismantled to restore. Not been a problem except for the head breaking off one seized rear wheel adjuster bolt, a seized rear footrest retaining screw and the inevitable broken BA screw holding the front fork spring cover to the fork yoke - looks like it was broken off during the original assembly at the factory. The centrestand is banjaxed, of course. The usual suspects, you might say, so I've gotten off lightly. 36483 miles on the speedo, genuine I think, and still in very good nick internally. Bottom end never dismantled. Just on 1st re-bore but no wear there. I'm the 3rd owner and know the previous two. It hasn't run since 1970 when I acquired it for £30 which actually left me quite poor for some time afterwards. I had just started work. It's Black & Glam Red. I need another working Ariel to entice my sons to start riding the old bikes. Donal came with me to the Italian Rally this year and rode my 1955 KH there. By the end said he loved it which was amazed me and is very encouraging. Best regards.
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

see this one ...

http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... ?f=4&t=245

Some good pictures