New to forum I have some questions on an Ariel

Anything about Ariels
Twinters

New to forum I have some questions on an Ariel

Post by Twinters »

Thank you for allowing me to join. I have some questions. My father owned this bike and built it in the early 60s. He passed away a few months ago and I have never seen it run. It is titled as a 1956 Square four. But the rear swing arm is different. I know he installed the Italian tank on it and I do have the original tank. I also have the original handlebars and other odds and ends. Was wondering if anyone has info on the bike. What would be the value of something this? It has a VIN listed on the title as ML 389.
I can get more pictures when I'm over there in the next week if need be.
Thanks again
Attachments
20220418_140942~3.jpg
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: New to forum I have some questions on an Ariel

Post by adrie.degraaff »

The frame is looking like a 1955 to me with a 1954 rearforks, the frontforks sliders and alu hub are 1956 +, the numbers will thell.
On this moment the value will be 5000 pounds mainly for the engine.
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Its got a Monoblock carburettor !

There are those who say that the vacuum from the 4-cylinder engine will cause the slide to stick ;) .

I don't like the tank, but actually, that is a very interesting project . . . . .

If I didn't have three 'project' motorcycles and two 'project' cars at present :roll: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Thanks for showing us your dads Ariel.
fascinating bike ! it uses a -so called- PRF Ariel frame (Pivoting Rear Frame) .
Too shoehorn a SQ4 engine in it, the frame needs to be made longer and sometimes the front down tube(s?) need to be bent forward.
It looks like it has a single front down tube, so your dad must have used the front part from the original plunger style frame.
(the PRF frame has twin downtubes at the front)
There are a few of these 'swinging arm SQ4's' made by enthusiastic Ariel riders over the years.
They are used by those who really want to travel distances with their SQ4's but want to have a better ride.
If you are in to classic bikes, this would be one of those that is very useable! even more so as it has this special frame.
I would think twice before parting with your dads machine.. ;) when it's gone, it's gone....

edit: tank looks to be from something like a Parilla
_A7R2071_marked.jpg
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi and welcome to the form, that is a special Ariel 8-) a lot of people will put it down or try to beg it off you , my dad built a square 4 with a swinging arm frame in the 1970s and it rides and handles a lot better and doesn't do your back in riding it like a ridge or plunger frame , if it was me i would keep it,, like we have done with my dad's motorcycles cars steam engines trucks etc
admin

Post by admin »

(Moved 'cos I think we might be having a good discussion before any 'selling' comes up!)

SG
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

From https://draganfly.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... el_vin.pdf
ML is the prefix for a 1956 engine, which matches the front forks/wheel, and the title doc.
As well as the original tank there might be the '56-on headlight cowl, and Sq4 toolbox - which are well worth keeping with the bike, I'd think.
Original frame number prefix would be GM but I think this would be on the lug under the saddle (unless Sq4's made a change to the steering head lug to stay in step with the PRF frame when that was introduced in '54 - someone who knows about Sq4s will no doubt explain!). So probably all the frame numbers have gone when the frames were 'merged' and the engine number has been used as a 'VIN' for the title doc - maybe that's also been stamped on the frame somewhere.
It looks to have two main instruments in the 'panel', is one of them a rev counter?
Interesting bike and interesting project - it does look pretty nicely done. (I think Troy is in the States - and that's definitely a States-side look that it's got!)

SG (with 'user' hat on)
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Twinters

Post by Twinters »

Thank you for moving. I guess more interested in the info on the bike. Wish my dad would of told me more about it before he passed. I unfortunately don't have the space or ability to keep the bike. He was a machinist by trade her in Iowa. Born.and raised. This was built by him in his early around the age of twenty and only rode a few hundred miles. He later got into motorcycles in about 1981 and bought Suzuki's mostly which I have 6 of those to sell as well. 3 of which are rotary RE5's. I will attached a few pics if it ok. One of him riding this bike with my mom in 1962.
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

RE5. Now there is a rare bike.

Especially this side of the pond.

Article about the RE5 in this months OBM.

I was 18 when they appeared. I was blown away by their looks and the technology onboard.

@twinters. Are they runners?
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Troy - we're always up for a few pics!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)