Kickstart jamming

Singles, twins and fours.
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Kickstart jamming

Post by john.nash »

1951 BA box with some new internals.
Kickstart would lock or jam every 10 kicks.

The box is free and it appears that if the kickstart quadrant meets the toothed ratchet at a certain position then it catches and locks. You can rock the engine, in gear, everso slightly and all is good.

The first tooth is a half one but that appears to be the culprit - I've already ground a little off it and it's catching far less. Can I remove the "half tooth" altogether ? I gather it's a half tooth to prevent locking in the first place, so if I take it off will the second tooth start locking too ?
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
JohnnyBeckett

Re: Kickstart jamming

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i have replaced all new parts to do with the kickstart and it stills locks up , Geoff Brown says you do get the odd box that will lock up no matter what you change , but i think if the bike falls over on the kickstart it can missaline the kickstart ratchet by bending the casings out of line a little bit
i change my outer gearbox casings and now my kickstart doesn't lockup :D :D there was a lot of posts about it wen i was trying fix it and getting new parts made by Geoff Brown Gearbox club spares in 2020
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

I have the cover off and the quadrant in it's bush, on the inner cover, so I can see what's happening.

I found another quadrant and that has exactly the same issue - the first half tooth jams the ratchet, depending on position.
The ratchet gear looks fine and in consulting the parts list I can see there are two types - sq4 and other - let me check that next.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi did try two ratchets with the half tooth cut off and the first tooth off and the and it still jammed and i also done a total rebuild of the box with all new bushes and bearings kickstart shaft and ratchet and quadrant and it still jammed until i change the casings :o
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

I'm running the right parts.
I'll carefully take the first tooth down a little more and keep trialing
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119