Rear Sprocket

Norm Emerson

Rear Sprocket

Post by Norm Emerson »

Hi, I'm looking for a rear sproket for my 1958 NH 350 part no. 4230-56, 47 tooth. I know they are hard to find but any condition considered. Can anyone help please?
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Rear Sprocket

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi you can try B & C EXPRESS SPROCKETS they will make you one, i have had a lot of sprockets made by them for different motorcycles we are building :D :D 8-) ( look at suppliers on the forum ) they used to make all the sprockets for sprockets unlimited a well know seller at bike shows and jumbles a very nice guy till he past :( :(
Last edited by JohnnyBeckett on Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Norm,
If you have tried the usual sources with no luck I notice new ones are being sold from India on ebay. Not sure what they are like as Indian made parts are often hit and miss with respect to original spec but here is a link :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353903564645 ... BMqIzgpvpf
Might be worth taking a chance. Remember there may be customs, local delivery charges etc. to add on.
Anyone bought one and can comment please ?
Regards,
Keith.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

I had a bit of a chat with John Budgen at Shepton (autojumble) back in February about the new-made of these that were available a couple of years ago (and without knowing about the new ones now on ebay).
JB had a few to sell from the last lot that were Indian made but sourced via MCA. A number of them had wrongly-spaced (or wrongly sized) teeth - if you know you're getting one with good teeth they're OK .....
All the duff ones from the last batch were scrapped but JB did remark that he now wished he'd kept a few as they'd be OK for re-ringing with new teeth (this is probably on the assumption that you've not paid a lot for them in the first place!)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Norm Emerson

Post by Norm Emerson »

Thanks for the help evryone.
I have ordered up one of the ones of ebay and will let you know if they seem any good. It's not due to arive for a few weeks though!
Cheers
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Draganfly tried one of the Indian made sprockets several years ago to realize that they had not allowed for shrinkage in the casting and the holes were a little closer to the centre than desirable. They looked at re-machining but it wasn't practical. These have always been a pain to get made.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

not if you use a good supplier that knows wot they are doing
Norm Emerson

Post by Norm Emerson »

I now have the rear sprocket that Keith Mettam sent the link for on ebay and it's fine. The chain fits ok, the holes for fixing bolts are ok and the bearing pressed in ok. So if any one needs a new rear sprocket there's nothing wrong with these ones. Cheers
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

Thanks.
Useful to know
I will bookmark that link.
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Came fairly quickly then Norm. What additional charges did you incur (customs, local delivery etc.) ?
Regards,
Keith.