Telescopic Fork headlamp ears H25-46

Singles, twins and fours.
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Telescopic Fork headlamp ears H25-46

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi,
I have two pairs of H25-46 and two top yoke castings plus two different bottom yokes (one a later one with the cast in steering lock holder).
Now, into the top yoke there should be fitted a rubber ring and a washer on each side against which, I guess, the headlamp ear should engage nd compress the rubber ring, to hold the whole thing securely. However, none of the combinations of yokes and ears allows this. In all cases the top of the ear seems to ineterfere with the casting, so my question is 'is the rubber ring one of those ideas that never worked in practise (or have the gremlins picked on me)?

I suppose I could always remove some material from inside the casting, to get the ear to move freely within it so that it abuts with the rubber, but I'm not sure I want to do this?

Any thougts, anyone?

Thanks,
Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
dave.owen

Re: Telescopic Fork headlamp ears H25-46

Post by dave.owen »

20220321_152519.jpg
20220321_152519.jpg
Keith, both long and short ear headlamp brackets are 7 1/4 inch lbut have to be used with different top yokes .
Dave
Attachments
20220321_152508.jpg
AOMCC Treasurer
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

This arrangemant gets a bit involved, which top yoke are you using -47, -49 or -51?
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi Roger,
1951 top yoke; I thinks this is the same as fitted to the swinging arm models prior to introduction of the cowling?

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Yes used 1951-55 all models. There should be a rubber ring (short section of tube rather than the washer shape used earlier) and a steel washer between the rubber and ear to prevent the ear digging into the rubber. There is only 1 washer each side, none is needed inside the yoke. All bottom yokes are the same as regards fitting the ear. The long and short ears are the same apart from the length of ear of course, the 1946-48 and the 1949-50 top yokes use different arrangements of steel washer(s) and rubber(s).
People clearly have problems with the lengths of these sleeves as it not uncommon to find that they have been shortened, unless there is another reason for a bit being chopped off the length, perhaps a non-Ariel use?
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi Roger,
The cones haven't been cut; I think this is a matter of fettling. Perhaps I'll just need to remove paint and possibly polish the inside of the steering head yoke casting. All else seems to be in order.

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH