lost topic

Post here for help with the forum
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

lost topic

Post by adrie.degraaff »

How can I loose a hole topic while making it? it took me more than an hour?.
admin

Post by admin »

Hey Adrie,

There is a "session timeout" associated with most forums.
Most web applications have one, your internet bank or an internet shop are very good examples.
Every user, when they login, is identified by a session, which holds information about you.
To prevent the number of sessions increasing forever (i.e. they never disappear) and slowly killing performance and eventually overwelming the software and hardware, they are deleted after certain time. In the case of the forum, it would result in your account being logged off (and losing any data you have stacked up)

Ours is preset to 3600 seconds (or one hour) but I've now increased it to 90 mins ? I dont think this will affect anything
Do you think you need more time than this, Adrie ? I could probably go higher ?

Depending on how you access the forum, your software (and O/S) might have session/idle timeouts associated there
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Adrie, I'm sorry you have lost your work.
Given some of your stuff is very detailed, one way would be to write what you have to say in word (or similar).
You could then just copy and paste into the topic.
Another advantage is that you then have spellcheck (this catches me out on the forum).
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

You do realise that you can "Save Draft" when typing a long message. It is then saved on the forum
You can then "load Draft" back, when next you go back to post a topic.

However, be warned, when you "Save Draft" then you will automatically be dropped out of the topic.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....