Speedo Bracket

Parts needed or for sale, which are unique to the W/NG.
Suppliers of unique Ariel parts.
Dave S

Speedo Bracket

Post by Dave S »

Hi, would anyone be able to help with precise dimensions of the bracket to centre mount the speedo on a 1940 W/NG so I can make one?
I've got the parts book which shows it but exact sizes are obviously not given.
The bike is July 1940 despatch, I'm informed its the 388th made so maybe one of the earliest survivors? Currently undergoing cosmetic restoration, which includes sourcing the right bits for that period...
Regards, Dave.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Speedo Bracket

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The bracket you are looking for is 5213-38 part number D10/143 available as a works drawing, see website for details.

As the bikes were not built in any discernable order it is not possible to know a bikes position in the order of building. If several weeks of production were to be tabulated it would be possible to say that such and such bike was built on a particular day but there would have been 20-30 others built that day as well. In fact I did this long ago and have just had a look at the listing but it would take some time to work out what position a particular W/NG was as there are many civilian bikes in the list to confuse the issue and some dates cannot be read.
The first contract was for engine numbers BH421-687 supplied between 28/6/40 and 6/6/40. Three days earlier (sic) the next contract was begun for engine numbers 697-2859, dates 25/6/40 to 7/10/40 (see what I mean about dates). BH 688-696 were not made. The first 350s made for the governemnt, described variously as NG or NH were made 5-22/10/39 but civilian bikes were still being produced up to December 1940.
If you let me have your numbers and I will be able to tell you many more facts!!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Roger, thanks for your reply.
When I first acquired the bike last year I posted on another forum and received the info I stated, which is all I know.
Frame number is XG11724, engine BH1722.
Agreed re the part numbers for the speedo bracket, that's the one I can see in the Dec 1940 parts book I have.
Exactly how do I access the works drawing for the bracket on the website please? Sorry, I'm new on here...
Regards and thanks, Dave.
admin

Post by admin »

Dave - copies of factory drawings is a 'Club members' service (you might have just had an email about that ;) )

SG
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Dave, the numbers are from Contract C 8302 but the deaptch book lists the frame as 11624, as it is close I think you or the factory has probably misread the number. Your bike has not been listed in the club's register before. It is listed in the despatch book as an 'NG', as many of the early W/NG were and the customer is listed as BG (British Government). This contract was the second one and was for 2,700 machines commencing on 25th June 1940 and was completed on 7th October 1940. The previous contract was for 209 machines but there had been a contract for the French Government for 500, however with the invasion of France this was not completed and many of these machines went to other contracts. There were also 180 bikes, mainly NG, but with a few NH delivered between 5th and 22nd October 1939 that do not have a contract number and are almost certainly civilian bikes that could be assembled quickly. As well as bikes for the military there were civilian bikes being supplied up to early December 1940 so you can see that the early production of W/NG is rather involved.
Your W/NG is certainly a very early one and most unusual in having the original engine. There are surprisingly 4 W/NG frames on the register with lower numbers than yours, some contracts have much higher survival rates than others, although some contracts were very small. There are at least 11 from this contract in the register, 4 of them in Norway who bought a lot after the war.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

Roger, I have seen that listing some where, but I can't find it now. Can you give me a hint where to look?
A WNG is on its way to my workshop.
Knud
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Roger, many thanks for the info, I'll have another look at the frame number to confirm what's there...
Dave.