Singles camshaft nut

Bikes or not. Whatever
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Singles camshaft nut

Post by PeteL »

Checking to make sure that the camshaft nut on singles is a R/H thread.
I see a lot of posts about the camshaft nut on Sq.4s being L/H but nothing about singles, or about the nut being difficult to loosen.
I am temporairly thwarted, as my 1/2" socket set is elsewhere and I have only large open ended spanners to hand.
I have tried standing on the brake pedal, bike in gear, but the nut will not let go.
I'll get my 1/2" socket set back tomorrow which should increase my chances, but any recommendations about the best way to stop the shaft turning would be welcome.
I have at least managed to loosen all the slot head screws around the cam chest.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Singles camshaft nut

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi the nut on the camshaft is a right hand thread the half time pinion nut is left hand thread :!: i undo my NH engine with my 18v impact gun i know a lot of old timers don't like using impact guns, but you have to move with the times that is what you new car motorcycle etc are put together with , and i do it up with a socket and ratchet the same way that you are trying to undo it 8-)
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Pete - I find that increasing the leverage is invaluable in removing stubborn threaded things,,,,,

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The best way to stop the shaft turning is to use the tool recommended by Waller which is an old clutch plate (or pair of clutch plates) with a handle attached. You insert the tool, put the handle against something solid such as the footrest and the shaft is locked, although you may need to turn it quite a distance to take out all the play in the engine shock absorber, etc.

If you don't have such a tool, PM me because I saw one only this afternoon which will be available for sale.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Thanks guys.
I don't have an impact gun. Not sure how much use it would get. Though I suppose once you have one, applications soon appear.
More leverage with an extention tube on a T bar with a good fitting socket is what I'll try tomorrow, but as I do not have any spare clutch plates, I'm taking up Paul's kind offer.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Drags do a clutch holding tool its about £12-75 with vat but they are saying it will be put on back order for the last 2 years or moor :roll:
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Pity, that's not an unreasonable price.
However,the cam chest gasket renewal is no longer a priority due to unforseen circumstances. As in, I did not forsee that this evening I foolishly cast my daily ride, a 700 Yam, into a Somerset levels drainage ditch.
Silence in the back row please! and no rude comments about that's where it belongs, its a damn good bike.
It was a lonely spot and fortunately a passing motorist did not panic as in her headlights she saw the "creature from the black lagoon" climbing out of the ditch dripping pondweed and slime, but let me sit sopping wet in her car while we tried to summon the AA. As there was nobody injured they couldn't make it a priority. Impending hypothermia apparently was not enough and they could only say recovery would be along in about 3 hours. My rescuer thankfully gave me a lift home.
So the Yam sleeps with the frogs and eels tonight and we'll see what can be arranged in the morning. I don't run a car so the only alternative wheels for immeadiate use, if I get the oil pump and mag chain cover back on in the morning, is the VH! fortunately the mag sprocket is not yet disturbed so that will save fiddling with the timing.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Out on the Levels? I go out that way myself fairly often but I wouldn't be keen at night, at this time of year!

I'm on the north-west side, I think I've seen that you're more to the south-east, Pete.

Looks like we might both be VMCC Somerset Section members though.....

Good luck with recovering the Yam!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

I hang out with the East Devon section.
I think I'll take the AA's option. Mainly because it will be no simple job to get it out. Just getting a strap on it to pull or lift on will need chest waders at least. And I can sit at home in the warm waiting until they are well on their way, rather than waiting 2 hour in the dark soaked through.
My mobile got drenched so I'm charging up my old Galaxy Note2 to get some pics of the lift.
Once home it will be get the Karcher into action. If the way the black slime penetrated everything I was wearing it will need a serious clean.
Whether it'll evere run again is another question
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Bad luck there :o , I've had a couple of near misses myself in the past. I used to live in the Isle Valley (Isle Abbotts) - up and over the Fivehead/Langport road and down to the levels . . . . I moved to Scotland in 1972 !

I hope the recovery goes well and that you get the Yam running again.

Looking forward to the pictures :lol: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH