timing chest screw sizes

Bikes or not. Whatever
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

timing chest screw sizes

Post by PeteL »

I think I'm on the track of the last (for the time being) significant oil leak on my '52 VH500.
From the bottom of what I would call the timing chest (with the cam inside).
The slot head screws show evidence of determined tightening, so when the bike last ran around 1960, the prevous owner was trying to stem the flow back then.
When I come to do the job I'd like to have new screws in hand before I start.
Looking at Drag's listings They seem to list such screws by size. So far I haven't been able to get any of the old screws out, so don't know the length or whether they are all the same. So help please.
Several of the likely looking sizes appear as "out of stock" so I may need to search for other suppliers.
I've ordered a new impact driver. Only for getting the old screws out!
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: timing chest screw sizes

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Pete,
ACME Stainless do these sets in stainless steel and many other parts too. Here is the link, the timing screw set is near the bottom of the page :-
https://acmestainless.co.uk/product-cat ... cba1185463
Good luck with it,
regards, Keith.
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

Thanks.
Found that and I've orderd from them before.
Just succeeded in shifting one of the accessible screws. 1.1/4" as I suspected.
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

ACME for a full set of inner+outer stainless screws - as Keith suggests.
Drags, I think it's the 'Case screw, large head. 1 1/4'. Looks like they're out of stock on the standard ones but do have the stainless ones
https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/54612/case ... teel/#023Q

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

They are cheese head with a slight rounding of the visible corner. Get a good fitting screwdriver with a square section shaft and assist with a spanner They don't have to be ridiculously tight but a bit more than you generally get with a screwdriver is needed. Nev
garycullen
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by garycullen »

Nev, I did exactly as you describe with a square shaft blade screwdriver. The point filed for the best screw head fit when doing my VB timing cover. I was reluctant to admit it as my ex RNZAF engineering instructor would be horrified. He was ex WWII RAF fighter and bomber damaged recovery engineer.
In fact I can’t recall ever seeing a square shaft blade screw drive in any of our RNZAF tool kits!!
Gary
Gary Cullen
Forrest Hill
Auckland
Antipodes
1946 VB600 rigid Tele
1973 Honda CB350 owned since 1981.
1933 Austin 10
2008 Fraser Clubman (like lotus 7 only better )
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I have an impact driver but usually remove the end - which has a 1/2" square drive - and attach my socket ratchet instead of the impact part. Using the impact driver bits, most screws come out easily enough, including square four sludge trap screws.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i have a 3/8 drive screwdriver socket i use on cheese head screws i got a set of about 5 different width blades sockets and if they are tight i use a T bar with both hands to undo the screws :D
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian_Walker »

As you probably noticed some of them are different lengths so get them right, the middle two are the ones that people mix up. Also they tend overtighten the middle two and distort the cover before the other are snugged up. I painted a little Permatex aviation cement (looks a bit like the old shelac/varnish we used to use) to the keep the gasket stuck the the cover. A bit of lapping on plate glass will also help to make sure you have a good fit. Oil seems more likely (anyway in my case) it leaked from the oil pipe connections then wept around the case.
Brian
ps new screws with the right driver width should be all that's needed, oil leaks will now move on to some other area till the mandatory newspaper under the bike is no longer required.
1951-52 VCH under restoration
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Hi all,Its worth running a tap to the bottom of the thread to clean out old sealent gasket goo and bits its was amazing what came out of mine when doing its first strip down, regards Clive.