A Sad End?

BenW

A Sad End?

Post by BenW »

Hello,
Just a brief introduction. Hello from the muddy East Coast of Yorkshire near Whitby.

Do any of you remember this article in the AMCC magazine,
ariel 005.jpg
my farther canceled his club membership.
ariel 004.jpg
The bike was all original as far as I can remember, but my farther swapped the fuel tank and replaced the mudguards to save them from destruction while he used the bike and side car to carry an outboard motor and fishing gear down the bank at Robin Hood's Bay. He had an engine stolen off the boat so the new one had to be brought home when Howdale was launched up.

The square four was often in bits and always repaired at home on a budget. I'm sure there's a picture of it In it's full glory somewhere but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Ther bike was eventually retired for long term restoration, and as my farther got older he preferred riding a 350cc opposed twin Douglas.

The bike has now passed on to me and I hope at some point to at least get it running! For now however it is safely cocooned in a plastic bag with tray of desiccant to keep off the damp. I will try to get it out in the spring and reattach the original sidecar and see what is to be done.
square4.jpg
square42.jpg
square43.jpg
RalphM

Re: A Sad End?

Post by RalphM »

About 50 years back our window cleaner had a MK2 on a traid mans box looked a absolut dog
but ran sweet as a nut, only one I ever saw until a mate had one 2 or 3 years back, fully restored
looked great but did not sound as sweet as the first one.
PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by PeterW »

Thats tremendous. Would be lovely to see it up and running in tradesman spec. Probably unique :¬)
Paul_Linden
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul_Linden »

It’s really nice to know the history of a bike including photos of it through time. The fact that this was a working bike is interesting too.
I like where the oil filter is placed, you can see the oil returning to the tank through the clear pipe :)
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

I think that this bike was the first Square Four I ever rode. This would be sometime in the mid 1970s when I lived in Sleights with my parents. I think your Dad and I were the only AOMCC members in the area although I only had a 1957 350 single at the time. Your Dad came round one day and we swopped bikes.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
BenW

Post by BenW »

Thank you for your replies. I was hoping that someone would recognise or know the bike. I have found a picture of it, probably as Paul remembers it.
Best regards from a snowy, muddy and locked down Robin Hoods Bay,
Ben
[img]
SquareFourBenMick 001.jpg
[/img]
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I don't remember the Palma(?) sidecar. I think it had the box on when I rode it.

Greetings from a snowy, frozen (so not muddy) and locked down Malvern Hills.

Paul
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.