FOR SALE : 1904 Ariel

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: FOR SALE : 1904 Ariel

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

How does this work?
Is The National Motorcycle Museum allowed to sell of items from their collection ?
BobWard

Post by BobWard »

According to the article it reads that all bikes for sale are duplicates and not the bikes put on show, this makes sense as when there is a ride a vintage motorcycle day for a not unreasonable amount of money I might say, the motorcycles provided are not immaculate in appearance and show petrol stains on engine cases, worn and marked paint etc. But I do wonder about the Origen of the bikes when gifted to the Museum by families of deceased riders/collectors.
1958 Huntmaster
1957 VH 500
1960 FB Cruiser 84
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Now what do we have here, i have am following this motorcycle from 1990 until now.
"Atlantic motorcycles" bought it at a Brooks auction in 1990, when they found out that they had bought a 1927 numberplate, a 1908 frontforks, a handlebarr and about 8 frameluggs of a 1908 2.5 HP Ariel they where not happy.
The Peugeot engine came in 1927 in the than unknown frame thus called Peugeot on new 1927 papers, after some time the frame went in an hedge and 80% rotted away.
The engine and papers where kept inside, it was saved in the 70s but restored to a 1904 model with loose tank parts covered with look a like decks.
Atlantic tried to sell it for many years for varied prices now forsale with a nice copy of long 1904 Ariel tank but shortened to the short frame with Minerva levers.
So you're buying a 1927 numberplate, a Peugeot engine in a wrongly copied frame but good for London-Brighton :D .

Ariel made 4 forks, light, heavy with tubes, girder model, light with axel springs.
Making the luggs heavier every year wich is making them easy to date.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

You must know more about veteran Ariels then anyone on the planet Adrie. I hope you keep safe because if you don't then nobody will have the knowledge and it will be lost.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Dave.Barkshire wrote:You must know more about veteran Ariels then anyone on the planet Adrie. I hope you keep safe because if you don't then nobody will have the knowledge and it will be lost.
Please write it all down!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26118/lot/525/

Also in this Bonhams auction is (again) this ex Ron langston ISDT HT5
Engine from a road Ariel, so not really the real McCoy.
According to the text various ISDT bits on the bike are not from Ron Langston's ISDT HT5 .
Nice that Bonhams -for a change- writes down that what your'e bidding on is only partly the Ron Langston bike.
More a pastiche.
I guess that could be the reason why it is up for sale again within such a short period.
canvas.png
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

There is nothing wrong with restoring a motorcycle to what you think it should be but do more research before starting.

If you have a 2.5 Ariel engine and put it in this frame you're halfway there making good value.