DRIVING LICENCE

Bikes or not. Whatever
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

DRIVING LICENCE

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI All i asking on the net what size motorcycles in the late 1960 and in the early 1970 on L plates in the UK and it keeps coming back saying you can only ride a 1 25 cc does DVLA not remember wen you could ride a 350 cc then it went down to 250 cc solo and any size with a side car and at the age of 16 years on L'Plates so i went down to DVLA to ask about this and they look at me like i just came down in the last`rain cloud :?: and told me you have never been able to ride a motorcycle bigger then a 125cc on L plates :? :? so i must have been dreaming about riding my square four in the late 60s with a chair on L plates at 16 :?
BobWard

Re: DRIVING LICENCE

Post by BobWard »

1968 I took my bike test on a BSA C15 SS80 250cc my work mate had a BSA A10 with a wooden box sidecar and on L plates for years.
1958 Huntmaster
1957 VH 500
1960 FB Cruiser 84
BobWard

Post by BobWard »

B20AF952-879B-48B3-8A30-0155A10D718F.jpeg
1958 Huntmaster
1957 VH 500
1960 FB Cruiser 84
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Bob I was never told of the changes to driving licences the only time you found out about it is wen you got stop and done for not having full driving licence as i say DVLA do not remember back then wen i was at dvla the man next to ne said to them he was riding a 350 cc on L plates back then, and as you know DVLA IS God and what they says goes and and you can not tell any different :x :(
john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by john.mitchell »

In 1951 I passed my test on 1935 Ariel 350. Could have done it on Vincent V twin If I had owned one.
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi John its a shame that DVLA can not remember that, instead of sweeping history under the carpet and stop playing god and what we are saying we is wrong :x :x
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Son Rob turned 17 in 2000 and was then able to ride my 1948 4G with sidecar on L-plates. It became his first independent means of motorised transport for a short time until he passed his car test only a few weeks after his birthday.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Paul i think now he has got a full car licence he does not need L plates to ride a big motorcycle and sidecar now
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

I got a semi trailer licence at 17 ,with a borrowed WW2 Ford truck and home made single axle semi,that allowed everything on wheels ,when the B double licences came in ,mine was automatically upgraded to MC ,all I had to do was say I needed one .......Nowdays ,licences is a privatised business,truck licences cost thousands of dollars,and all they are good for is setting you up for $10,000 fines for minor mistakes ,like taking a wrong turn,or being a few ton over,or not filling in a logbook......Motorbike is now a separate licence,not included in car & general licence....(.more cost .)...supposedly to reduce the road toll.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi John i got my drawbar { trailer } licence under grandfather rights, now if you want to tow a trailer you need to have a test for it in the uk