Mk1 sq4 tank rubbers

Singles, twins and fours.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Mk1 sq4 tank rubbers

Post by will_curry »

A quick scan of the parts lists shows 5057-54 (E9/3307) for the S/A frames but nothing earlier.

However, both the 4's I've had dealings with have had them. In the early 60's a neighbour had a
4G with sidecar and frequently blown head gaskets. We spent quite a lot of time taking
the tank on and off, amongst other bits, and the one 'nice' part of that operation was that the
sleeves stopped the rubbers from falling all over the place.

My own Mk1 also came with them, at least at the front.

Perhaps I was lucky, neither of my S/A Ariels which should have had them did and both needed
extensive repairs to the tank mountings.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Well, my SQ4 doesn't have them, nor are they in the parts book.

But I've spent so much time chasing them about the workshop floor that I think I'll make some!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
peterR

Post by peterR »

I have another issue. When I offer up the correct rubbers and washer to the rear mount I find the 1 1/4" bolt appears too short. Can someone measure the thickness of their rear frame mount. Mine is about .425. Basically the rubbers are .375 and .475 the frame is .425 thats 1.275 before adding the washer thickness. The bolt is 1.25.
Cheers
PeterR
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

peterR wrote:I have another issue. When I offer up the correct rubbers and washer to the rear mount I find the 1 1/4" bolt appears too short. Can someone measure the thickness of their rear frame mount. Mine is about .425. Basically the rubbers are .375 and .475 the frame is .425 thats 1.275 before adding the washer thickness. The bolt is 1.25.
Cheers
PeterR
That may be by design. I can confirm the rear mounting bolt threads are quite difficult to get engaged.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
peterR

Post by peterR »

Thanks for the comfirmation of difficult to fit. I turned up a 5/16 bolt 1/8 longer to 1 3/8" and it worked ok. Maybe down the track when the rubbers compress a bit the origional bolts might engage.
Other option would be to shave the rubber down a bit. Resisting the urge to do that.

Cheers