RAL numbers for Leader paint

JohnMolloy

RAL numbers for Leader paint

Post by JohnMolloy »

I am trying to resurrect a basket case Leader that is piece small (with lots of pieces missing) and I am in a quandry regarding paint. Does anybody have RAL numbers for Dove Grey and Light Admiralty Grey.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: RAL numbers for Leader paint

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI look at drags site they list the paint colors and i think they have link to a paint suppliers and i think you will get the RAL numbers :?:
JohnMolloy

Post by JohnMolloy »

I asked 'Drags' and they referred me to the club!
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI John look up RS BIKE PANT they list all the bike colours they will help you :?: 8-)
Nick_Edgley

Post by Nick_Edgley »

I recently wanted the correct paint colour for Admiralty Grey and Seal Grey for my Arrow. I have used RS Paints before and rang them to ask how sure they were that the colours they supply were accurate.

I had a very interesting conversation and, if I recall correctly, the person I was speaking to said that his father started the company supplying paints way back in the 60s(?). He had seen a market opening and kept formulas for all the paints he supplied. These were numbered. The numbers of my paints are 134 and 135 indicating they were the 134th and 135th paints he made up. The point was that I was assured they would be as near perfect a replica of the colours as was possible.

I ordered two 25ml samples (£8.50 each plus £8 carriage all plus VAT equalled £30!). I have a couple of areas of old paint on my restoration and the Admiralty Grey matches that old paint well so I believe the colours are accurate.

I have a friend with a car bodyshop and a paint mixing scheme. He is going to spray a couple of test cards with my samples and then use his analyser to get ascertain the formula and then mix some paint for me.

RS Paints are clearly knowledgable and were helpful but I found their charges for two x 25ml samples pretty outrageous. For that reason I will not buy any quantity of paint from them.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI if you buy a bigger size tin it becomes cheaper and good paint price as gone up a lot :?: and their paint is very good i do not buy cheap paints for my paints shop if you wont a good job :!: their is a lot of cheap paint out their but it is like dishwater :o
Nick_Edgley

Post by Nick_Edgley »

Their paint may well be good quality but so is the paint I can get mixed.

My point is that charging £30 for two 25ml samples is excessive and because of that they have lost a customer.
JohnMolloy

Post by JohnMolloy »

I spoke with RS Paints and discovered that there is no RAL number for Seal Grey but RS have a formulation that is as near as makes no difference to the original. That doesn't help greatly if you want Central Wheel to shotblast and powder coat the hubs. I too was offered 25ml samples £20 for touch up and £30 for aerosol. I am told that RAF blue is very close.
Thank you all for your input - I'll have to try to get round this some other way.
Roger Armstrong

Post by Roger Armstrong »

I don't know where you live, however I've had big problems trying to match my bike's Seal Grey. The RS touch up paint was too dark. I took a side panel to Automotive Paint Supplies in Southampton (other branches available) and they used a very clever machine which I think is called a Spectrum Analiser and mixed up two tins of cellulose aerosol spray for £24. A perfect match ! They can also mix it as a 2K paint with hardener already mixed in, however it only has a two day shelf life before it goes off in the tin. Hope this helps.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi most old paint do not match the color it meant to be that why i have a color scanner in ny body shop wen i was re painting some bits my ariel i mixed up the color it ts meant to be and took it home to paint the bike and it did not match so i took a panel in to work and scanned it and match it , and done the touching up :D so i think your best bet is to get it scanned like roger says and you will get the right color i do not now just go by what color they say it is i scan it because most old bikes have been painted before :!: