Re: deck height ?

Post by nevhunter »

The thickest one I have is 1". Nev
Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Ian.Taylor »

Thanks Nev, I'll check Friday night after work.
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by david.anderson »

To remove material from the cylinder base (which is 1” originally) was common practice in Australia with the iron engine VH. I have 2 different cylinders that had 1/8” and 1/6” removed from the base flange. I have increased the 1/16” slightly to .070” with one cylinder and use that with a 7.5 piston in my 49VH. That gives a compression ratio of 8.3 to 1 which runs superbly on 98 unleaded. With such a modification there is no problems with piston to valve clearance which is more than adequate even with a HS cam. A standard piston does not extend beyond the cylinder wall at the extremities but sits below the rim.
A cylinder liner for a VH has a wall thickness of about .080” and there is no lip at the top. The raised cylinder spigot is unaffected when a liner is fitted as the liner is pressed in then finished flush with the existing spigot.
With regards to valve lift, the rockers are 1-1 and do not alter the lift from pushrod to valve. The cam levers do however alter the valve lift. The twin lobe follower has a lift ratio of .86 which reduces the lift of the A7/642 to .318” at the valve. The 56mk1 HS cam and HS follower lifts .430” at the valve.
David
Ian.Taylor

Post by Ian.Taylor »

Good Info Dave .Thanks
Ok back out yet again to have another look at this issue.
After measuring the Flange which is 1" and the cases ,comparing figures to my VHA case..all seems good, so why the 2mm protrusion.

I had a look at the rod,first.A7/S24.Yes the 5 looks like an S..lol.look up in the book and the VB uses A7/524.I then yank off the case and yes indeed it is a VB Crank,30mm Vs 28 for the VH..also A7/550 is stamped on the flywheel.

Now I know why the 2mm difference.
looks like I'm making an aluminum 2mm spacer and maybe longer push rods.
Michael Will

Post by Michael Will »

Hi,
I seem to be having the same issues with the Deck height of the piston,the dome of the piston is higher than the barrel old piston was dished , I am using the club's Omega piston. There has been work done previously on the motor, I am thinking the conrod is the problem at this stage.

Any help is appreciated.
Ian.Taylor

Post by Ian.Taylor »

Putting the original VH Crank back in solved the problem.