VH Alloy Head Valve Guide Issues

Singles, twins and fours.
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak

VH Alloy Head Valve Guide Issues

Post by robjameson »

I have had huge issues trying to fit a new exhaust valve guide to a '57 alloy head.

Got the old one out no worries but the new one just will not go in! It gets half way then won't budge.

Is there something i am doing wrong or are they usually awkward?

I have heated the head up in the oven, gas mark 9 for 25 minutes, but it has been on a baking tray (for ease of getting it out), will the bottom of the head have been shielded from the heat to some extent and therefore not have expanded as much as the top half?

Hope someone can help,

Rob
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
Dave.Barkshire

Re: VH Alloy Head Valve Guide Issues

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Although I'm no expert I have managed to put in new valve guides on non Ariel alloy heads using the same technique as you've described and have never had a problem and I'd be surprised if the baking tray was a problem. You could try leaving it in for longer to be sure.

So, clutching at straws...
Is it possible that the hole in the head might have a ridge which might be catching the guide? Maybe the guide is not going in at the right angle? It might be worth measuring the internal diameter of the hole just in case something strange has happened in the past such as a repair. It the guide the correct diameter?

That's all I can think of. I hope that a proper expert comes along soon with something better. Good luck - Dave.
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: VH Alloy Head Valve Guide Issues

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

Hello Rob have you tried to cool the valve guide in the fridge ? the ice department of course for a longer time( few hours), it works both ways then, smaller guide and bigger hole.
regards chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV