new member hello

Singles, twins and fours.
bob cottam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

new member hello

Post by bob cottam »

Hi All, first post as just joined the club having bought a 58 SQ 4. Er, lots to see and do.......not least a full engine stripdown.
Early question: I have bought the necessary pullers for the coupling gears, but it is obvious that I need to remove the outer roller bearing on the rear crank first, the one behind the cush drive.There seems to be no easy way to pull the bearing off as the roller cage/rollers prevent access to get hold of the bearing centre.The seal unit behind is pressed hard up against the bearing-very hard-difficult to turn the rollers??Is the seal usually that tight up against the back of the bearing, and is it a case of sacrificing the bearing to remove it i.e. pull off the cage and rollers to access the centre for a puller? Any pearls of wisdom appreciated, Thanks in Anticipation, Bob C.
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: new member hello

Post by david.anderson »

Bob
welcome. the outer bearing should just slide off the shaft by hand. it is a different bearing to the inner mains which are a tight fit on the shaft. sometimes people wrongly fit the inner bearing to the outer also, which makes removal very difficult without destroying the bearing. if the engine has been standing for any length of time you may find there is some pitting in the rollers and tracks due to the used engine oil becoming acidic. probably easiest to destroy the bearing as it should be replaced with the correct one anyhow.
the oil seal is not much of an oil seal and is joined end on and only held in place by the spring.if you can stretch the spring over the bearing and remove it you can look for the join and unwrap it. it should probably also be replaced.
regards
David
bob cottam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bob cottam »

Hi David, thanks very much for that.The engine has obviously been thrown together to sell unfortunately,and has been stood, so I am prepared for anything by now!! Oh well, here goes....Cheers, Bob C.

Update: Oh Dear....... Engine down now, me too...... odd pairs of conrods???....... (its obviously thrown a rod (or two) before and the only fortunate thing that i can see right now is that miraculously, the cases have escaped intact, possibly at the expense of the oil pick up pipe, which has a cracking dent in it from the whirling debris,with a tell tale gouge in the rear flywheel.
Anyone know how to remove said oil pipe from cases for repair- i undid the clip but its obviously a tight fit into the case behind the oil pump- are the pipes available? Advice sought, sympathy etc. stop laughing at the back there........ Bob