WNG rear engine mounting plates

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: WNG rear engine mounting plates

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Looking closely at the holes in the plates I have I think they are all punched.
Much quicker to do.
andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by andyhughesflattankarielpre25 »

I am not saying these plates are original but they came with some very late wng bits in a project I got a year or so back,there was a 40 frame and the rest of the stuff was probably late 44, it had tin primaries tin mag cover and the forks with no provision for a steering damper most of the parts are painted in dessert colour and have been together a very long time and are in amazing condition considering the age of them.Its not my thing but thought I would give it a go as I did have one about 25 years back and had fond memories of it,
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by alan.moore »

Andy,
Every WNG that's put back together with original parts possibly yields more information for others who are rebuilding from bits and bobs. The more the merrier.

Re the steel primaries, looking through the Clubs list of factory drawings there is this listed:

GA83: Alterations to be made when fitting steel chaincases (dated 1943) It's listed along with other 1943 items including the engine plates :)
Maybe this document explains the location of the additional holes?

GA83 GA83 Alterations to be made when fitting steel chaincases W/NG
2305-43 2305-43 GA83 Engine plate W/NG
2306-43 2306-43 GA83 Engine plate W/NG
5874-43 5874-43 GA83 Oil pipe W/NG
5882-43 5882-43 GA83 Oil pipe W/NG
6151-43 6151-43 GA83 Battery platform W/NG

GA83 is listed as a drawing so maybe all these parts are on the same document? Has anyone got this document?

I have located about 33 WNG specific drawings in the Club's list....but at £5 for the first, and then £3 for subsequent ones ordered, means getting them all would be rather expensive and some may not really help the project.

Maybe I could approach the club and see if they would sponsor the research by making those drawings accessible FOC as I am doing this to help myself and other club WNG owners understand the models history :D

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Post by andyhughesflattankarielpre25 »

Sounds a good idea,it may be worth a try,if the answer is no the other way maybe to see if any other wng owners would be interested in clubbing in together.I don't have much literature on wng but will look in the next few days.
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Cheers Andy
Anything you have may be helpful.
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

It's a worthwhile aim to have the definitive and correct data available. It's not compulsory for every owner to make his bike like original but it is good to KNOW what original is and the dates the changes occurred. Repaired bikes would be anything almost as later models had parts in common with other Brit WD makes eg seats (and springs) and handlebar controls and some electrics were "universal" after about mid 43., and these parts would be retrofitted no doubt as anything else would be too difficult and unnecessary anyhow...Nev
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Re the dual position and intersecting holes for the long stud, there IS a PIN located in the right place so it can be shared by the footrest support of the slotted variety (standard one). Nev
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Well done Nev,
That makes sense as to why the part number of the footrest support was not changed and why its not listed in the list of parts to be changed (GA83 in previous post) when steel chaincases are fitted.

Now...the fact that GA83 lists updated oilpipes suggests the footrest location moved upwards. Can anyone confirm that with steel cases it is the top hole in the engine plates that is used?

Cheers
Alan
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Pictorial proof :D

These engine plates are from a 1944 steel chaincased model, the half frame I got last year.
You can see where the footrest has been, upper hole.
W-NG engine plate double hole  (3).JPG
W-NG engine plate double hole  (2).JPG
W-NG engine plate double hole  (1).JPG
halve Ariel - kopie.JPG