My latest Ariel

john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

My latest Ariel

Post by john.davies »

Early in the year I decided I needed a big single to take on the West Wilts VMCC holiday to mid Wales this summer that I could enjoy taking around the lanes, trails and tracks. I didn't want to risk the 37 M100 Panther so I started looking for a VH or VB. Well here is what I bought, a 500 OHV bitsa.
ArielVH__0002.jpg
She was originally a 1954 VB plunger that at some time in her history had a 500 OHV engine fitted. The MJ engine number shows the cases are 56 HT with a iron top end on and who knows whats inside. She also had one of the new BTH self generating magnetos fitted and runs like a dream now I have sorted out the carb issues. The 928 concentric would not run right so she now has a 376 monoblock fitted and all sorted. Not sure of the origin of the petrol tank but it does look good when you don't look to close and see the chrome peeling away at the front by the headstock. Still need to track down a VH timing cover as she currently has a NH one on but there is no urgency.

Well I have the bike but now no holiday as its been cancelled but am enjoying the short test runs I am allowing myself to check things out. Lets hope its not to long before we can get out again and clock up some miles.
Image 1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: My latest Ariel

Post by PeteL »

Very nice.
I share the same dissapointment. I bought my '52 VH intending to use it for the VMCC Somerset Section's "Twin Dragon" run around Wales in 4 weeks time. Cancelled of course, but the hotels are already booked for our chosen dates next year.
Mine is "matching numbers" etc but I'm sure they'll be no difference between them for riding enjoyment.
Once we are clear of this wretched virus, there'll be no excuse for them not being fully sorted and our paths may cross.
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Bob.Murphy »

It looks very nice, John.

As you are probably 'self-isolating' (or whatever buzz-phrase we're using this week) I expect it will be squeaky-clean and semi-restored in no time.

I look forward to seeing it on the Bath Classic stand at next year's Bristol Classic Show 8-) .

I hope you and the family are well - and remain that way. All the best to you.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by john.davies »

Hi Bob, I'm going to leave her as she is at the moment in an oily rag sort of way. I have enough squeaky clean bikes and its nice to have one that you can just ride without to many cares. As far as next years Bristol show I was planning to put the Square 4 on the Bath stand if my partner and I are not in Australia in February 2021 as we were planning before this all happened. Look after yourself and keep safe. Cheers, John
Image 1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI John i leave my my bikes oily rag i am like you i am fed up with making bikes look like new and all right parts and spending lots of time doing it i just like to make sure its is running ok and do all the oils and sludge traps and do the brakes and check the bearings and off i go and enjoy riding and i don't if some parts are not the right ones i off to have some fun 8-) :lol: