It's a new one but it rides like an old one

Bikes or not. Whatever
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

It's a new one but it rides like an old one

Post by admin »

Help me.
My problem is that I'm searching for a new-ish bike (so something that doesn't shed oil all over my garage and courtyard, will start easy, stops, goes along motorways with ease and I don't have to mess with too often) that rides like an old british bike ... I've been through a succession of stuff like hinckley thunderbirds and bonnevilles plus older stuff ( which I'd still class as new-ishj ;) )like XS650's, harley ironheads etc

My partner's 2009 EFI bullet is nearly there, but the motorways are just out of it's grasp. I'm loving the T140, I put together last year, although it fails on the leaking and messing with still ... :D

What I want is the charm of the old stuff, but without the hassle...... is it just a dream ?
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: It's a new one but it rides like an old one

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

Kawasaki w 800 might be an option lovely classic retro looking bike by the way I have a kawasaki versys 650 but it is not retro it has everything I want easy to start in one word perfect
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

I've been down a similar path. I have owned : Aprilia Moto 6.5, Harley 1200S, Ducati Monster M900, BMW F650.

They were a varied bunch but ultimately disappointed in the engine department. I love engines which will pull effortlessly off the flywheel at minimum revs without snatching and with modern engines having light flywheels and short strokes this just doesn't seem to be common.

The Enfield singles are an obvious choice but they don't really excite me for some reason.

In the end I did find something that I really like. The Guzzi V7. It pulls from very low down and will bimble all day as you please. It has old world character but will also cruise smoothly all day at illegal speeds without a care, chain maintenance is thankfully absent. The engine is pushrod, everything works very nicely, size is compact, weight is fairly low.

The first series have only 5 gears which is good.

This is my 2011 V7 Cafe http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/MotoGuzziV7Cafe
PeteL
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by PeteL »

XSR700 Yam.
A very flexible engine. Parralel twin with slightly V twin beat.
Slightly odd but deffinitely retro styling. Its been my daily driver for 2 years and its a great bike.
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

I'm with Pete here.

For the last 30 or so years my 'modern' bikes have all been Yamahas. I've used
then as daily transport come rain or shine. When I was instructing we used
Yamaha Diversions. Things wore out, things got broken when bikes got dropped but
there were never any reliabilty issues. I expect that we'd have been as well served
with any of the major Japanese manufacturers' offerings.

What made Yamaha favourite was the fact that we have a major Yamaha dealer not
five miles away and they were and are still most supportive.

My current transport is an XSR 700. The riding position is very like that of my
PRF Ariels - with the exception that like most modern bikes the tail is quite
a bit higher than the Ariels.
DSCF1362a.jpg
Current PRF Ariel is a 1955 HS with a 19 tooth engine sprocket. Apart from the
fact that the Yamaha has two extra gears, indicators, ABS and an electric leg
the rides are surprisingly similar. Another similarity is that both have smallish
petrol tanks which somewhat tedious.

My XSR 700 has the higher, wider bars and would probably not be that nice for a
200 mile blast up the motorway.
Mark Nazer

Post by Mark Nazer »

I know you’ve been down the Harley route, but I wanted something reliable, clean, but with an old bike “feel” and so bought my HD Heritage Springer (As close to girder forks as you can get).
It’s getting little use now, so will be on the market soon ;)
Enjoy old age, you didn’t die young!
T Batnes
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by T Batnes »

A Triumph Thruxton 2004-2008 something, before they put on the injection system. As reliable as can get (mine has done 29.000 miles now without trouble), fast enough, good enough handling and feels oldish in a way. Makes noise as a Triumph should do, as long as you put on some decent silencers.
FB_IMG_1565467727277.jpg
https://youtu.be/gZeEmRch9IE
Ariel W/NG '40 "Bitzer", Triumph Thruxton '04, IZH-49 '56, Tempo Standard 150 '54.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Most of the AGING riders get a newer thing to have electric starter and better electrics.. Many of the seats are too high and the bikes can be a little heavy to wheel out of a garage which may have a slope. Liquid cooled engines are necessary on the higher performing bikes but I prefer the simplicity of air cooling . I don't really like a lot of the BMW offerings. Yamaha Made a TRX or something which is quite a good bike. Staggered firing twin. . In line fours usually "buzz" (vibrate) and some Ducatti's don't like pulling below 4,000 RPM (not enough flywheel effect).. Plenty to choose from. People who get a Guzzi Lario 650 seem to like them.. Look "like brit bike Retros" generally don't do much for me. Aprilia make nice stuff.. Full rego cost too much if you don't use the bike a lot. It's got to be 25 years old here to qualify for classic etc. I just got a Yamaha Virago 535 for my daughter recently and fully serviced it and have ridden if a bit and it's quite nice in the ride department and comfort and quiet. Got about 47 HP Not quite enough. Crazy isn't it? 33 HP used to be cammy Norton stuff . Nev
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

I think Guzzi are the closest to our old bikes.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Brian Petheram

Post by Brian Petheram »

I'm on the same journey as John (including having a T140 that's just a bit too much bother - I have pre-war bikes for that!) and top of my list at the moment is the RE Interceptor - has anyone ridden one?
I had a modern Bonneville on extended loan about 12 years ago and found it utterly bland so not going there. Guzzis seem a bit heavy and bulky but haven't tried one. Pillion comfort is a big issue so no cafe racers.