Murphy's law prevails

Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Murphy's law prevails

Post by Brian_Walker »

Over the last week I started to really get into putting things together on the VCH, because I am trying to make a road bike I keep running into issues with my previous build of some 40 years ago.
First I have fitted a 9:1 piston instead of the 14:1 and have removed the 3mm spacer under the barrel. (it stopped the valves tapping on the piston) I now feel guilty of how badly I treated the bike, when I took out the old plug (correct length and right heat range for alcohol) I noticed that I had fitted 3 plug washers to to it to stop the piston closing the gap. (I have my last piston with a nice little indent from the plug)
Anyway when I dropped the barrel the side effect was that the pushrods were now too long to have any wiggle room for the tappet clearance without completely undoing the adjusters.
Sweated the silver soldered caps off and shortened them by 3mm inlet and 3.5mm exhaust, next head would not go on in the frame. (will get a new set of studs and nuts when I have time.)
Next problem was that the drop in the barrel also causes a drop in the head and hence the GP carby that now touches the oil tank.
gpnofit.jpg
I then purchased a 1 5/32"' 389 Monobloc (from a Matchless G80) and rebuilt, the slide adj was broken off inside the body so I drilled and taped 2BA. The cover was badly warped and would be very incontinent so I faced it off in a jig on the faceplate of the lathe.
monocover.jpg
Lastly I needed to make a small fixture to allow the cut off frame lug (was for GP carb) to support the tank while giving good clearance for the cable and cap of the carby, it uses a small rubber instead of the large one but allows another 1/2" or more clearance.
Also note that because I don't have the small tank I have to support the front of the seat to the oil tank holding bolt. (aluminium test pieces fitted will now fabricate in steel.)

monofit.jpg
Brian
1951-52 VCH under restoration
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Murphy's law prevails

Post by Bob.Murphy »

My life exactly :roll:

Bob (Murphy)
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Bob looks like you have got your hands full that will keep you out of trouble for a while good luck getting with getting it done 8-)
T Batnes
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by T Batnes »

Solving one problem on a vintage motorcycle always reveals two new ones... the upside is that all this perpetual problem solving will keep our brains fresh and elastic into old age, and less prone to catch Alzheimers ;)
Ariel W/NG '40 "Bitzer", Triumph Thruxton '04, IZH-49 '56, Tempo Standard 150 '54.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

A tank from a rigid/plunger Twin might solve the GP carb problem.
This one is on Ebay, but at a stupid price : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ariel-twin-o ... ition=3000
But pic gives you a idea.
Ofcourse it is larger in capacity but you dont have to fill it that far.
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian_Walker »

Thanks, I did notice that mine may have been shipped with a twin tank the picture below show plenty of space for a velocity stack when the filler is at the rear.
fh.jpg
1951-52 VCH under restoration