53 KH oil line NRV

Singles, twins and fours.
robin rose

53 KH oil line NRV

Post by robin rose »

I am considering using a non return valve to the oil supply line on my Ansty link KH due to wet sumping issues.
Has any body used one or is using one? Am aware of possible pitfalls but not too
convinced about using a tap for obvious senior reasons!

All the best

Robin Rose
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 53 KH oil line NRV

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Robin
There are quite a few people using them, there are several discussions in forum threads (forum search will find them).
I think Feked now sell one that you can link to the magneto cut-out as a fail-safe.

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
robin rose

Post by robin rose »

Thanks for that Simon,
Have just looked at the tap on Feked, didn't know they existed!
Looks like the way to go for me,

Cheers

Robin
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

There is a oil stop valve thats claimed to be 100% reliable ,it is a Yamaha outboard motor part......I think there is mention of it before.Anyway ,this valve is well known to US Norton owners.Last time I checked,the valves were sold out ,as Yamaha wernt expecting the demand for the part....Velocette used a suction valve in the later singles,but it suffers from the well known problem of considerable difficulty priming if the oil pump has no oil in it.......the Yamaha valve is more complex to make it reliable ,as you might expect in a $20,000 Japanese outboard.
BobWard

Post by BobWard »

I ordered one of these taps for my Huntmaster where it fixes to the oil tank outlet and has a combined switch for the cut out wire which I thought was a good idea, so placed a EBAY order from Kingpincomponents on the 25th Oct but in as yet to be posted and I have sent an email to request when I’m likely to expect delivery and sad to say no response. The add stated 31st Oct and it is a part time family business producing these in batches. The EBay add is still running and states delivery 21st Nov. I live in hope but will soon start EBay action or Paypal on the job. Bob.
1958 Huntmaster
1957 VH 500
1960 FB Cruiser 84
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I use a suction type non-return valve on my KH(A) which is now 100% reliable. To get 100% reliability requires care and thought. Basically, you have to ensure there is a full pipe of oil between the valve and the pump at all times so that the pump suction opens the valve. I had problems when fibre washers "settled down" after running the engine and allowed air to enter the system. I now use Dowty washers. Once you have the system right it will work without problems - provided that you don't take it apart. Doing this runs the risk of not filling the pipe fully with oil on re-assembly or air leaks at the joints. Avoid these and the suction type valve works well. Failure to avoid these problems cost me a thrown rod in the early days. I suspect that ex - Chairman Lester Grant has recently had a similar learning experience on his KH, although I haven't spoken to him since to confirm this.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Paul_Linden
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul_Linden »

Here is the Feked one that Simon mentioned:
https://www.feked.com/anti-wet-sump-oil ... stems.html
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.