1938 ariel square four tank mounting rubbers

Singles, twins and fours.
ralph thetford
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

1938 ariel square four tank mounting rubbers

Post by ralph thetford »

I have just bought a set of tank mounting rubbers from Dragonfly which have 3 diferent thicknesses of rubber-----4 off 3/8"-----2 off 1/2"-----and 2 off 5/8"------I know the 4-off 3/8" ones go at the very bottom, under the support bars, and the 1/2" and 5/8 go between the tank and support bars but which two goes to the front and which two goes to the back.

Regards Ralph Thetford
malcolm.johnson

Re: 1938 ariel square four tank mounting rubbers

Post by malcolm.johnson »

I remember trying to resolve this a few years ago. I simply worked on the old assumption that if it looks right, then it is right. I sat the tank on the rubbers in their two positions without bolts, stood back and looked at the bike and choose the best position. On my 1947 4G the 5/8 rubbers ended up at the front (just been out to the garage and checked). Hope that helps.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1938 ariel square four tank mounting rubbers

Post by paul.jameson »

Having just been out to check mine, it is thick at the front and thin at the back, as per Malcolm's post. I worked on the basis that Ariel tried to get the tank base level and that the front mounting on the frame is thinner than the rear one so to compensate the thick rubber must go to the front .
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.