Nh 350

Singles, twins and fours.
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Nh 350

Post by Petebarn »

Evening all help needed out for run on the nh done about 20 mls and it stopped no spark left it over night ,next morning it started 2 kick I suspect the mag is there anything I can replace on it or is it a rebuild that's needed,cheers Peter
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Nh 350

Post by john.whiting »

Likely the secondary windings are cactus.......get an exchange armature from one of the repairers.
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by chris.shearwood »

I suspect the condenser in your magneto is defective. This is a good web site for more info:
http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/
1946 4G and 1951 VH
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

Thanks Chris have you had or anyone else had dealings with brightspark, ,I'm looking to get my mag reconed any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Earlier this year I built up four modified MO1 Mags from parts with 'Brightspark' condensers - They produce good sparks.

The trick is to remove the original condenser and replace the coil connections with something set in an infill medium. I experimented with 'Clearcast Plastic' (too brittle), a machined nylon block (too difficult to machine to a good fit) and finally epoxy resin (preferred). I learned a lot.

Regardless of my OCD experimentation the actual 'Brightspark' condensers are good ;) .

(I wouldn't recommend building a mag from disparate parts - the bits don't fit together well or run true and there are a surprising amount of design changes over the years. My lathe & mill had a lot of work to do).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

Thanks Bob I don't have access to a lathe so looks like I'll have to send it off and have it repaired ,any recommendations as to best place to get it repaired
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Petebarn wrote:Thanks Bob I don't have access to a lathe so looks like I'll have to send it off and have it repaired ,any recommendations as to best place to get it repaired
Peter
I have had three done by Tony Cooper and have always received a good service and decent price

have a look at this post for details
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... ony+cooper

Cheers
alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
Gui.dorey
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Gui.dorey »

Petebarn wrote:Thanks Chris have you had or anyone else had dealings with brightspark, ,I'm looking to get my mag reconed any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
I had a magneto for my BSA Sloper done by Brightspark. It didn’t require much - a good clean and replacing the original condenser with one of their solid state ones. I was quite happy with the service and communication and never had any problems with the mag anymore. This was about 2 years ago.
Cheers
Gui
1951 Ariel Square Four MKI
1954 Ariel NH Red Hunter
1929 BSA Sloper
1946 BSA B31 (project)
1954 BSA C11G
1960 Harley Sportster XLH
1951 Harley WL 45
tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tstewart »

Just been through similar on my NH350. I found a local vintage tractor enthusiast who looked at the mag and found the magnets were weak.
He said my mag had been rewound. Also the bearing shorted to earth sometimes. The tractor guy had built a jig for magnetising mags. I did also have a carb problem.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

Thanks for info I'll give Tony cooper a ring next week as it looks like bright spark are in France so postage could be expensive