Flow rate from the oil tank

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
derekmalcolm

Flow rate from the oil tank

Post by derekmalcolm »

Having cleaned out the oil tank and the oil lines and filled the tank I find that the oil flow at the pump end of the oil line is only about 2 drips a second. While i appreciate that the pump will try to suck oil from the tank two drips a second does seem to be low to me have other seen this rate of flow or is there a problem
Paul_Linden
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Flow rate from the oil tank

Post by Paul_Linden »

It will flow a lot quicker when it’s been warmed up by the engine.
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.
derekmalcolm

Post by derekmalcolm »

True the oil was at room temp, but I still expected a constant trickle rather than drops.
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

When I drained my 58 FH tank, (which I believe is the same as yours), of old oil at the start of my restoration I did it by removing the feed line from the engine - the flow was indeed steady and the oil was cold, about 4 degrees C. I would suspect your system has an obstruction somewhere, do you have an air line that you can use to blow through in the opposite direction to flow? Does the flow increase if you remove the filler cap?

Regards Mick
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

It's got a fair way to travel and the oil might be fairly thick. Anyhow you can take the Hex headed oil screen out of the back lower part of the tank and put wire down it or blow it out with compressed air.. The pipe end comes almost to the rear surface of the tank. IF you don't want to drain the tank just blow the line backwards with the tank cap off and observe the bubbles and flow of the air.. It would be pretty unusual to get a blockage but anything's possible. Have you recently CUT new rubber oil pipes? You can sometimes get a scarfed piece in it when you cut the rubber. Nev
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by alan.moore »

Derek
My VH and WNG both have the same oil tank and oil feed set up as yours. On both of mine, even with SAE50 oil, it runs freely out of the oil feed pipe and also out of the feed port in the timing case when the oil pump is removed. As has been stated you must have a partial blockage somewhere. Also check you have the pipes connected the correct way round.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
derekmalcolm

Post by derekmalcolm »

I have finally resolved the problem, the oil had caused the rubber in the pipes to swell restricting the flow to a few drops a second. Replacing the pipes has resolved the problem.
thank you all !
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

derekmalcolm wrote:I have finally resolved the problem, the oil had caused the rubber in the pipes to swell restricting the flow to a few drops a second. Replacing the pipes has resolved the problem.
thank you all !
Based on this it is worth remembering that only 'rubber' pipe rated suitable for oil should be used.
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Good quality fuel grade pipe won't swell. Some goes harder over time and may leak on a push fit. Replace about every 3 years to be sure to be sure. Good luck you found it. Nev