1938 square foue Magneto sprocket

Singles, twins and fours.
ralph thetford
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

1938 square foue Magneto sprocket

Post by ralph thetford »

I have just set the points on the Magneto but on nipping up the nut on the sprocket it moves the Magneto shaft slightly and of course moves the points out of setting---I have had about five goes at this and every time the shaft move slightly-----Does anyone have a safe and sure way of holding the Magneto shaft while nipping up the end sprocket nut.

Regards Ralph Thetford
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1938 square foue Magneto sprocket

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

i line up timeing with chain and sprocket on put the nut on by hand and get a socket or a tube to tap the sprocket on or just nip it up a bit with a impact gun then you can tighten it up
paul.jameson

Re: 1938 square foue Magneto sprocket

Post by paul.jameson »

You need two things. First, the sprocket taper should easily bind on the shaft taper. If it doesn't, apply fine grinding paste and grind in to improve the fit but make sure you remove all traces afterwards. Second, the nut must run down the thread on the shaft freely. If it binds, it will move the shaft. Again, any binding here can be rectified with fine grinding paste. Once you get these two things right, the only remaining problem is backlash in the drive train. Trial and error will remove this.

Otherwise, use Johnny's advice and tap the sprocket onto the shaft then tighten the nut.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.