variations in compression ratio in VB

Singles, twins and fours.
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Danny, would it be worth looking for a barrel to take the higher comp piston?
I suppose they've worked for this long at 5:1..
Re your earlier note re Hartley, I was very lucky to be able to buy a Hartley B cam from Chris Reynolds (this is the one in the cam article), who has a (real) Hartley Special VB.
I have kept a couple of emails from him, where he has described the Hartley mods to his bike. These include some metal skimmed from the flywheel skirts, Ally rod, stronger big end, porting etc.
He uses an aluminium head top end.
Chris had a bit of a bingle on this bike. If anyone in the UK gets a chance to speak with him, please give him my best and let him know I'm working on my bike!
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Danny.Lee
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: variations in compression ratio in VB

Post by Danny.Lee »

Hi Brenton

I do have a second barrel which came with the higher comp piston in it, marked +30. Sadly, I think the barrel is too rusty to use without a rebore.

I dont have a hone yet, but I will get one, and get rid of the rust and see how well/ badly the +30 fits then.

I am quite interested though in the idea of using the second barrel to try some tuning experiments, something to keep the mechanical interest after the bike is officialy finished. Actually, I am harbouring the idea of trying to cast and machine a new piston at home, probably all go horribly wrong but it may be a laugh.

Danny