Transfers - Jerry Mortimore's articles Set '93 to to Feb'94

Bikes or not. Whatever
Roderick.Bradley

Transfers - Jerry Mortimore's articles Set '93 to to Feb'94

Post by Roderick.Bradley »

Is there anywhere online one can view the series of articles written by Jerry Mortimore in Cheval de Fer between Sept 1993 & Feb 1994 about Ariel Transfers?

Rod
john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Transfers - Jerry Mortimore's articles Set '93 to to Feb'94

Post by john.mitchell »

You appear to be an AOMCC member Roderick. (Although your name is not appearing in the requisite fetching shade of red). So go to the Aomcc website and using the info at the top of page 2 in Cheval go to the Members area and navigate to Cheval Repositary via Library and all copies since Sept 2007 are available. Lots of other good stuff too.
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
jerry.mortimore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by jerry.mortimore »

If not, always happy to answer any queries.
1935 cammy Square, 1938 VB, brace of 1950 MkI Squares, 1959 MkII Square and several Ariel and Fleet pushbikes.
Roderick.Bradley

Thanks, John & Jerry.

I have had a look at the Club archives as you suggested but the Cheval articles on transfers are from 1993-4 so they not there as far as I can see.

All it is is that I am in the later stages of painting/restoring both a 1959 VH & a 1959 NH & am not sure about which & where some of the transfers go, viz.:-

a) If I remember correctly there is Regd Design transfer on the rear of the headlight nacelle but which one (TRA-47 or 48) & where?

b) Is there another Regd Design transfer TRA47 or 48) on the swinging arm & if so which & where?

c) I don't think the last swing arm models had any transfer on the toolbox?

d) Aside from the Minimum Oil Level transfer on the oil tank & the TRA-45 address transfer on the rear number plate support/bracket & those I have just mentioned, I am assuming there are no others on 1959 ('58 really) Ariel four stroke Singles. Am I correct?

Any information gratefully received!

Rod
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm very interested in this query too, I'm restoring a 58 FH which came to me bearing no transfers whatsoever so I'm using the data in the Draganfly catalogue as a basis. This suggests there should be a transfer, (TRA-46), on the toolbox but doesn't mention anything on the swinging arm.

Regards Mick
jerry.mortimore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

The Reg'd Design transfer is a small rectangle that went on the right leg of the nacelle just above the screw that fixes the nacelle to the bottom yoke at the back. It was placed vertically reading from the right. There were three types but there is little information on when they were used. Since Ariel bought transfers from different suppliers they may well have switched over several times. I think the earliest were black letters on gold, TR070. I think the next were gold letters on white, TR069. The third type were gold letters on transparent so would show the paint colour, TR023. The very last bikes in '59 used the Leader transfer, TR025.
On the FERC the transfer went at the top of the outside near the primary chaincase, almost hidden.
I think gold on white were the most used. Your choice.
(Transfers shown are not to scale and very low res. Actual stock look much better. Bike shown is a 59 Square.)
Attachments
shroud.jpg
regd-v.jpg
Last edited by jerry.mortimore on Sun May 26, 2019 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
1935 cammy Square, 1938 VB, brace of 1950 MkI Squares, 1959 MkII Square and several Ariel and Fleet pushbikes.
jerry.mortimore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

With regard to the Horseshoe transfer on the toolbox, that first appeared with a white centre on the 1950 models in the centre of the toolbox lid. It was not used in 51 or 52 but reappeared in 53. At some point the white centre was dropped but reappeared, see the attached 1957 pic. Again, with Ariel using different suppliers they may have received variations in colour and size, and also availability when they had no stock due to not paying their suppliers quickly enough. They never seem to have ordered transfers in large quantities so there were lots of opportunities for variations to creep in. I think the colour of transfers was so far down their priority list it didn't matter. Frankly, it is now personal choice. If you like them, fit them.

I stock them with or without white centres.
Attachments
hshoe.jpg
jerry.mortimore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

The only other transfers were the Works Address on the top of the rear number plate bracket and the Min Oil Level. Max oil level was only used on Square 4's. There was another transfer that I would like to get an image of. It went on top of the oil tank and was a list of suitable oils in a rectangular box. If anyone has one, please send me a high-res image with a ruler next to it to get the size. Again, an item that was not fitted at all regularly.
Note the horseshoe with the white background has the correct 7 holes in the horseshoe - the other has 8. One for the anoraks, there.
Attachments
hshoes.jpg
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thank you Jerry - that's very helpful, I do like to get things correct where I can so will be following your advice when I apply my transfers.

Regards Mick
Roderick.Bradley

Invaluable information. Thanks for taking the time, Jerry. Really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Rod