Mo1 mag rebuild cost

General electrical problems
JoeTurner

Mo1 mag rebuild cost

Post by JoeTurner »

Hi all, I’m quite new to this and I have sent my mag away for repair, prior to sending I have fitted new points and a new brush to the pick up,
The mag sparked blue or white at the points but nothing on the ht lead.
I spoke to a guy who told me it needed a new condenser and rewind but he was too busy and recommended a guy in Swindon,
The guy in Swindon sounds a nice bloke and called me saying it needs a total rebuild £400 to £500 plus vat,
Does that sound about right?
Thanks
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Mo1 mag rebuild cost

Post by alan.moore »

Joe,
I would seriously suggest you speak to Tony Cooper. I have had a couple of MO1's rebuilt by him, the last a month or so ago. Took two weeks from dropping it off to being done. Rewound armature/ new condenser, slip ring, bearings, points, pickup, fibre gear, everything vapour blasted and cleaned, stainless points cover and re-chromed catch for about half what you have been quoted. Give him a ring and see what he can do for you. Lots of folks in the club use him. Never heard anything but good news from the stuff he does

Tony Cooper Motorcycles
110, Olive Lane,
Halesowen,
West Midlands,
B62 8LT
Tel 0121 559 2405

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

I'll second Alan's comment. Tony did an M01 for me a couple of years back. My armature was undersized, and he replaced it as part of the rebuild - all in for a lot less than you are quoting.

My mag sparks very strongly when you turn it by hand, and the bike starts first time.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Go to Tony Cooper. I have had mags rebuilt by others which have been improved massively by Tony when I finally gave up and sent them to him for another repair. His prices are excellent and his work is better still.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Tony Cooper every time!