VCH

charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

VCH

Post by charvey »

Hi All, bought the VCH off of Chass Raycraft last year, he had left it in a barn for a while, most of it is as Chass made it and to my liking,all I had to do was fit another primary case change the 26 tooth sprocket for normal one,change clutch centre new tyres and tubes, battery, charging system a bit of wiring, wheel bearings clean and grease and aa few other mechanical bits,changed all the cables, it was a bugger to start found a choke slidefor the carb which was missing and changed the plug which was the main reason for poor starting I think to a long nose one which seem to cure the starting so after kicking it about 25 times at a do at Cassington Oxfordshire its now down to 2 or three even when cold but I don't get the round of applause when it starts in front of about 50 people,Also cut the rear mudgard and hinged it to make rear wheel removal quicker and easier, I don't like them smart but I do like them useable and safe,and those Avon roadriders are good too easy to drag the footrests on corners,must raise them a bit.Cannot find an engine no anywhere but on the logbook is TC and the chassis is XG and it's 1951,Chass had it for about 40 years and there was one owner before that.Hope its of interest,Clive
P.S. I go down to Oxford about once a month or so so if you see an Ariel nipping through the traffic in Northampton its me.
Attachments
P1000767.JPG
P1000771.JPG
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: VCH

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

I have a few pictures of this VCH when in Holland in about 1983.
If you are interested I scan them
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Hi, that would be great I know Chass toured alot in Europe etc.,Thanks very much, Clive
Vincent.vanGinneke

Hello Clive.

Here are a few pictures I took at the Dutch annual rally in Heeswijk-Dinter in 1989.
Chas Rycraft VCH 1989  (5).jpg
Chas Rycraft VCH 1989  (4).jpg
Chas Rycraft VCH 1989  (3).jpg
Chas Rycraft VCH 1989  (2).jpg
Chas Rycraft VCH 1989  (1).jpg
Vincent.vanGinneke

And one from the GB annual in Norwich 1988.
Note the different wheels , dunlop rims and black hubs + the rear has ventilation (!) holes .
Different exhaust pipe and a bum pad at that time
img226.jpg
oil tank is from a KH model, to get the filler neck away from the intake I guess.
I think that now (2019) it also has a petrol tank from a KH with oil pressure gauge ?
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Hi Vincent,
Thanks very much for puttingthe photo's up for us its interesting to see the before and after I will take the photo's and show Chass next time I see him,
Thanks again, Regards Clive.