Dynamo not charging

General electrical problems
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Dynamo not charging

Post by Steven.Carter »

bevanclark wrote:Thanks gentlemen. Will do as you suggest Paul.

Obviously, its not a fast bike, but it sure is fun to ride; and what a wonderful sound :)
Only disconcerting thing is that the seat springs look correct and in good order, but seem too weak - I'm not a big bloke, so don't compress them much i guess, but I get the feeling that my bum is waving from side to side (so to speak !).
Cheers,
Bevan
My saddle did that for a while till I realised that the nose bolt near the tank was loose
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Mine too. In fact, the frame lug for the saddle nose is a bit worn on one side, which makes the swaying backside effect even worse. I'll fix it one day, but it's a great ride so it won't happen anytime soon.

Oh and Paul - my son has cleared a space in his garage and we have agreed he will try out my Ariels on a rotation basis. Should I worry that I won't see them again?!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

The only long term solution to the swaying saddle caused by a worn saddle nose bolt is contra wound saddle springs. These are only available to original pattern from a very fine chap called Paul Jameson who needs to make another batch after he broke a saddle spring on the RH500 during energetic riding over Herefordshire potholes earlier this year (2018). There will be an advert in Cheval when I have them available.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

There's some really terrible looking springs around. Coils far too wide apart I found some in my collection I swear I will never use, They look so ugly. Were the originals always chromed or sometimes black (Or Khaki)? and the ends are supposed to be with one large and smaller hole No? You might sell a few, Paul Later twins are barrell shaped..Nev
admin

Post by admin »

Paul had his made in stainless.

You're right, nev, (as usual) the WNG ones (at least) are smaller barrel shaped ones and I think painted
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

There's a "universal" seat made at the time for most British WD bikes fitted to later stuff and retro fitted . (no doubt ) where refurbishment happened.. once you've seen one you easily recognize it . It has two elements across the rear part between the springs. The lower one is bent up in the middle to clear the mudguard. Nev