Paint Colour

Bikes or not. Whatever
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Paint Colour

Post by robin.parker »

Hello, I'm new here.(registered on forum but not joined up, yet)
Can anyone direct me toward a colour match or mixing code for the "Burgundy" on my 1957VH?---please. Bike ticking over in garden, 'phone rang, stopped engine, but forgot to turn off the fuel, carb flooded and stripped the paint off the bottom half of the air-filter box--damn!
I've now ordered a "stayup" float kit!!
Thanks, Robin.
lawrence tobin

Post by lawrence tobin »

Hi Robin ford garnet paint colour was used by fron 1970 to about 1980 this paint colour is the best match I know of.please note that paint fades over time I have a paint ref no from my paint shop it can be of help to you FDE.5051M. PLEASR NOTE THAT FORD LATER HAD A METALLIC FORD GARNET . THE ADDRESS OF MY SUPPLYER IS GMF MOTOR FACTORS LTD PAINT @ REFINSH BRANCH NEW ROAD. PARKEND .LYDNEY GLOUCESTERSHIR. GL15 4JA TEL 01594 56447 PAINT REF NO FORD GARNET FDE.5051M
CELLULOSE I HOPE THIS WILL OF SOME HELP TO YOU LAURIE TOBIN GLOS BRANCH
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

Isn't the "deep claret" colour, close to RAL 3007 ??

BTW, if the fuel strips the paint then what you need is fuel resistant paint OR fuel resistant lacquer (or both)

I get my paint from GMF as well.

Party on, Laurie !! See you tonight ..
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Paint Colour

Post by robin.parker »

Thanks Laurie and John, I'll explore those paint codes with " Romart" of Lye, our local motor trade paint people. Regarding Petrol attacking paint, I'm wondering whether I should try the old Aeromodellers "Fuel proofer" that we used to be obliged to use on our Glow Plug driven Methanol/nitro fuelled models, that was a kind of lacquer that went on over the last pretty colour coat of cellulose dope. Remember this problem is going to get worse.