Wiring route for rear lamp

General electrical problems
James Hickman
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Wiring route for rear lamp

Post by James Hickman »

I am in the process of sorting the rear mudguard of my 1951 NH. It is the 1950-type with the folding rear section. Thinking ahead to re-wiring, can anyone advise of the route of the wires to the rear/brake light? There appear to be two clips on the inside of the offside rear mudguard stay - was that to hold the wires, or do they run up and under the mudguard? If they run up the inside of the rear stay, how do they get there? Also, they run under under the hinged section, so presumably there must be enough slack to allow it to hinge upwards - but doesn't this result in them rubbing on the rear wheel when slack?
Advice (better still photos!) appreciated.
'50 NH 350 (Shiny)
'29 Model B (Oily Rag)
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Wiring route for rear lamp

Post by charles.bulloch »

I got fed up of the wires under the mudguard of my 55 NH becoming disconnected. Instead of using bullets I ran 3-core flex to the lights along the frame tube and fitted quick release connectors. This gives a proper earth.

Charlie
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Wiring route for rear lamp

Post by nevhunter »

The wire(s) run up the inside of the offside stay and you need a connector in the wire when you lift the hinged section. The big problem is with the stop switch which is on the left side with the brake pedal, requiring a lot of wire down to and from it, which looks messy. Nev