Dynamo Commutator Question

General electrical problems
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Dynamo Commutator Question

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi,
I have just taken delivery of a new armature for my dynamo which I am changing along with the field coil as part of a rebuild / desperate measure to get the charging system going after trying everything else; the manufacturer of the regulator says that it is ok and everything worked before. Wiring all checks out o.k as well and the dynamo did pass the basic tests!!

Anyway, the commutator contacts used, traditionally, to have a groove separating them from each other. The new commutator has no such groove and the insulating material on which the contacts are mounted fills gap between them (there is no groove). The surface seems perfectly smooth as though it had been intentionally finished off. The separation between the contacts is also minimal.

My question is, is this the 'new' way of doing things or should I scrape out the material between the contacts (which given the minimal separation between them will be a challenge)?

Comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and BR,

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Dynamo Commutator Question

Post by nevhunter »

The "old" way of undercutting them would still be the way I'd go. They've probably taken a short cut and not bothered to do the hand work. Get a fine 32 tooth hacksaw blade and grind the "set" off the side of a portion (end) the get the thickness correct and prevent making a mess of the side of the groove. You only need do it where the brushes run plus a bit on the end where you are up to the place where the wires are soldered into. Later ones may have no solder Some are welded. Welded is better. It's only a spot but they don't fling apart when hot like soldered ones can do if you work them too hard. Clean the copper with fine glasspaper, not wet and dry and blow off with air. Nev
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi Nev,
This I will do.

thanks and BR,
Keith

PS. Out of curiosity, what's the reason fro not using wet and dry?
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

The abrasive is electrically conductive.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com