1960 Arrow colour question

Nick_Edgley

1960 Arrow colour question

Post by Nick_Edgley »

I have a 1960 Arrow for restoration. It is almost complete with just things like brake and throttle cables missing, incorrect handlebars, etc. It is very tatty and has been hand painted in colour that approximates Admiralty Grey, with the original paintwork under the seat appearing to confirm the original colour was Admiralty Grey.

After an hour or two wiring the points correctly the engine started and ran without much effort and appears to run well although obviously I have not been able to road test it.

At the moment I plan to dismantle a rebuild the machine but just leave the engine internals alone on the assumption they are in good condition. My reasoning is that to remove and rebuild the engine would not be difficult at a later date if found necessary.

My problem is working out the colour scheme. I have details of the machine from the Ariel Works dispatch records which state that it was a standard bike which I take to mean the colour scheme was standard. Having looked at many pictures of Ariel Arrows the colours seem to be of every hue and combination! My machine has a gold tank in what looks like original paint.

If the bike was Admiralty Grey would the tank have been gold? Would the front fork covers have been chrome or painted? What other covers, e.g. gearbox cover, would have been painted or chromed?

Any advice gratefully received.

http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/downl ... w&id=17501
Attachments
P1030500.JPG
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: 1960 Arrow colour question

Post by Roger James »

Hi Nick,
If your Arrow was manufactured in 1960 then it would have been painted in Light Admiralty Grey with the dummy tank in Red, Seal Grey or Oriental Blue, Ariel did not start fitting Gold coloured dummy tanks until the introduction of the Super Sports Arrow in early January 1961, likewise the front fork spats, tool box lid and rear number plate on your Arrow would have been painted same colour as the dummy tank. However very occasionally a new owner when ordering their new Arrow in 1960 specified changes from standard to some items that included chrome front fork spats, chrome dummy tank tool box lid and whitewall tyres such entries although very rare are listed in the Ariel factory despatch records although I dont recall seeing anyone ordering a Gold coloured dummy tank being fitted to a 1960, in any event its possible that those changes requested by private individuals inspired Ariel to produce the Sports Arrow.

The detachable offside engine cover would have been painted and not chromed.

Referring back to the Ariel Factory Despatch records, they only listed the colour of the Dummy tank, as they only sold Arrows in Light Admiralty Grey from late 59 through to the Autumn of 1961 when they changed it to Ivory that is listed in the records for a short while there was no need to state Light Admiralty Grey on each and every entry.

If you let me have the frame number I will check the Factory Despatch records for you so that you know the colour of the Dummy tank when it was new You can send me a 'Personal Message' to do this if you do not want the frame number being viewed by everyone.

Hope you don't mind me mentioning that looking at the photograph the rear number plate is not a standard Arrow item.

Jess
Nick_Edgley

Post by Nick_Edgley »

Hi Jess

Thank you very much for your very helpful and comprehensive reply.

I had a suspicion that the gold dummy tank may have been a later modification and also thanks for pointing out the non-standard number plate mounting, I had missed that!

The frame number on the plate under the seat is T16820S. An engine change has clearly occurred at some point because the actual engine number is T18060T, not the engine number shown under the seat.
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hi Nick,
I've checked the Ariel Factory Despatch Records for you on those two numbers.
T16820S Ariel Arrow Seal Grey coloured dummy tank that was despatched to the dealer, Bryants of Biggleswade on 10.9.60

Engine number
T18060T Ariel Arrow blue coloured dummy tank was despatched to Imperial Cycle & Motor Company, Bedford on 19.10.60

all the best

Jess
Nick_Edgley

Post by Nick_Edgley »

Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated.
Nige W

Post by Nige W »

Hi Jess, tried to PM you ref my Arrow, but don't think it worked/know what I'm doing, lol.

As you'd identified OP's bike, I was wondering if you could poss find the time to do the same for my newly acquired machine? Matching numbers T 29134 T.

If you could it would be very much appreciated - thanks,

Nige
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Thanks Nige, I've replied to your Personal Message with the result of the records check.
Jess
Nige W

Post by Nige W »

Thanks Jess, very much.

Nige