My Ariel 350 WNG

General talk about the W/NG
LuisPaz
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: My Ariel 350 WNG

Post by LuisPaz »

The Toolbox on place, but need some corrections so that it is in the right place.
Also need to install the knob in the center of the hinged lid. (this toolbox seems to be a Triumph 3/1 box)
Attachments
20180519_143329.jpg
Luis, from Argentina
1944 Ariel WNG
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Similar shape. You need the W/NG only mounting pieces (2) that go to hold both tool boxes on to the frame and each other. If you get them correct the location is easier. The lower attach point is the pillion footrest holder, not a strap. Did you get the dimensions for the brake cam I sent? Do they do the job to make one or do you need more info? the Rack frame for the pannier is a fairly dangerous fitting if someone bumps it or you brush them going past. Bulky too. Nev
LuisPaz

Post by LuisPaz »

Thanky nev for your reply!
This is the pic i found in the web to see the correct place.
My frame dont have pillion footrest holder.... :( :( :(
Attachments
a164dc0d-ba18-411b-8de1-93393944cfed.jpg
Luis, from Argentina
1944 Ariel WNG
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

What is shown there looks 100% correct. You can see the tail (convoy) light, single wire running between the toolboxes. Some earlier pics show round "catches" rather than the toggle ones on the toolboxes. The toggle ones are the best. In my view. They are a good bike Luis (except for the wide gap to top gear ratios). It's the "trials" gearbox ratios The Bike was a replica of the 1938 ISDT bikes with a field stand added and a bit of detuning so it has "pedigree" They did make around 40,000 of them. Not high by other bike standards but a lot are not around .. Someone here may have some concepts of what number might be still able to be brought back to life or are now in use. They were and are, pretty rare where I am.. The Matchless is even more rare, here in Australia and I'm trying to put one of these together the hard way. It was "civilianised" with all that can entail. I've managed a few new bits but could do with access to more . The Ariel and Matchless (which had tele forks in 1941) were apparently the most popular with the despatch riders. They are both 350 cc OHV. BSA made the most numbers of bikes. 130,000 ? W/M 20 even more than Harley WLA's 90,000 (plus a lot of parts).. Nev
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

There's a few pictures of the threaded tabs inside the toolbox here:

http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.co.uk ... s.html?m=0

Might be useful. Note that the big toolbox lid does not fully open with the pillion footrest fitted - it looks like they were 'designed' like that. Pillion equipment was not specified with the first contracts but came along later.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com