Fuel tank 1949 500 VH dimensions.

Singles, twins and fours.
Phil.Taylor

Fuel tank 1949 500 VH dimensions.

Post by Phil.Taylor »

Hi, Does anyone know the dimensions of the petrol tank for a 49 500cc Red hunter, not too sure if the one that is on is the correct one. i am about to have the tank renovated and don't want to spend a fortune on the wrong kind of tank. any help on this is much appreciated. just one more thing, how do the knee rubbers attach to the tank?? thanks everyone.
Syd.Kallechy

Post by Syd.Kallechy »

Hi Phil,

Did you recieve any reponse to your question? I have a 49 VH I am rebuilding and I think the tank on mine is also wrong. It fits the frame but looks to short (capacity/external length dimensions look off) compared to photos I have seen of other bikes.
I've been watching/considering the Indian made tanks on eBay as a cheaper alternative but they only show two models > A SQ4 with insert and a NH/VH with no insert. I wonder if the SQ4 volume/size/mount dimensions are the same as the VH?
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

If the tank ends at the rear mount ,its the smaller tank,fitted to the 350.The 500 tank is about 4" longer beyond the rear mount.There are many different tanks,with different capacities,with one thing in common,good ones are as rare as rocking horse .... The knee rubbers attach to plates in typical BSA fashion.Regards John.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Phil, Syd,
The tank is pretty close to 12" wide and 20 1/2" long.
It is a panel tank. I'm pretty sure with a Chronometric speedo. PA might be a little bit earlier? - and bakelite trouble light.
There are comprehensive posts on this forum about Indian tanks.
If you need to, I can make further measurements.
regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

You see lots of 500s with the smaller tank,I wonder if it was an option?Of course lots of 350s have been converted to 500s since they became collectable,but the little square oiltank is usually a giveaway.Regards John.