1936 NG 350 top end lubrication

General talk about the W/NG
Tom Elias

1936 NG 350 top end lubrication

Post by Tom Elias »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and delighted to have purchased a NG 350 I think it could be the Deluxe model as its registered in November 1936 and black in colour. It runs and starts great and very pleased with it and I would like to keep it that way by means of regular maintenance, my question is regarding valve gear lubrication, there is what looks to be a small bore pipe running from behind the rear of the barrel to the head on the inlet valve which I believe uses crank case oil mist to lubticate the stem and guide, I have 2 X grease nipples which are on the head and are on the end of the rocker spindle, on disassembling the valve gear from the head I injected grease and saw it emerge from the drilling on rocker balls that engage with the push rod cups, do you know if there are any other pathways/drillings for the grease to lubricate, or do I need to apply/smear grease by hand to the rocker assembly bushes ect? Any help or advice would be appreciated thanks.
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1936 NG 350 top end lubrication

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Hi Tom,
as you say; grease to the rockers and oildamp to the inlet guide, the exhaust guide is lubricated by oil passing the piston rings.
Tom Elias

Post by Tom Elias »

Thanks for the reply, lubrication of the exhaust guide now makes sense, you mentioned grease to the rocker gear, is that applied by smearing by hand or only by use of the 2 grease nipples?
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

The grease nipples.
Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Ian.Taylor »

Use a high temp grease for the rockers .any other grease will melt shortly after a good warm up.