SQ4 Saddle

Anything about Ariels
DaveH

SQ4 Saddle

Post by DaveH »

Hello all,

This afternoon I took a pleasant ride on my newly-restored 1952 Square Four Mk I. That is, it was pleasant until around 30 miles in, at which point pain set in due to the very uncomfortable saddle. This was a legacy of the previous owner, and is clearly wrong. It requires setback adapters on the frame for the rear springs to align, and a normal seating position has one sitting on the thinly padded rear rail of its frame.

So I'm looking for a better one. The spares list says it was 6201-51, suggesting a variety used only 1951-52, and made by Lycett. Period photos show a raised rim at the rear, kind of an unusual design. I expect it will be hard to find an exact match, but does anyone know where to find one that's at least the right size and mounting points? Drags lists a nice-looking British-made one, but no stock. There are various Indian-made saddles in "large" and "extra large" sizes, the latter for a Norton 16H - any experience with them?

Thanks,

Dave
Attachments
Ariel1950Pamphlet2.jpg
Ariel Square 4 Mark I 1951-2 ad.jpg
1952 Square 4 Road Test - Motorcycling pic.jpg
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: SQ4 Saddle

Post by simon.holyfield »

I'd ask Draganfly when they plan to make another batch. I remember waiting months for mine, but it's spot on correct and very comfortable.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Paul
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

Same trouble,the bikes were made for smaller riders,and lighter too......I need to do something about saddle springs......the ES2 is the worst,as the regulator is under the seat,and on full compression pokes up through the cover.....Ive already extended the front brackets on the saddle ,and put L shaped spring mounts on the frame to keep the springs square..........worst part was after altering the Norton seat (it was an Ariel seat).....discovered I had a Norton saddle frame on the Ariel...could have just swapped them over.
greg.geonetta

Post by greg.geonetta »

Dave

Sent you a PM

Greg in Arizona
1972 Norton Commando, 1951 Ariel SQ4, 1959 Triumph desert sled, 1973 Moto Guzzi Police, '68 BSA A65, '65 BSA 500 twin, '65 Triumph Bonneville, '78 BMW R100/7