W/NG PISTONS-OIL CONSUMPTION?

Anything about Ariels
david.jones

W/NG PISTONS-OIL CONSUMPTION?

Post by david.jones »

Has anyone got any knowledge of the oil consumption and general paracticality of using a standard WNG 3 ring piston for normal use, any advice would be appreciated Thankyou :?: :)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

With the small oil pump ( standard till 1949 ) the original 3 comp ring piston is OK. I have done thousands of miles on my W/NG and it is oil tight and doesn't blow smoke.
I turn a small relief below the bottom ring groove ( 1/2 mm deep .020" for about 1/8") and drill about 10 small holes at 45 degrees from that recess to the inside of the piston skirt. Don't go through the thick webs . This was standard practice for the period, and gives oil control without the extra friction of an oil ring and the benefit of having 3 comp rings. Nev
david.jones

Post by david.jones »

Thanks Nev
I have the small oil pump fitted and this opens up another option which would be more readily avaliable as I have a new old stock standard barrel anyway.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

just make sure that the pump is in good nick. It's a pretty small plunger and you would not want a lot of wear. Only the firs 1/4" does anything. I test them with a mix of kero and about 10% oil to see how much leakage is there . The NOS standard barrell is nice to have. Resleeved OHV 350 cyls don't have much metal in the wall and were known to break in racing situations, even when they are not sleeved. You should allow a bit of extra piston clearance in sleeved motors as the heat doesn't get out as well as when it's not sleeved, so you are ahead there. Nev