back plate 47632f,they may be siutable

if anyone is interested let me know,
dave
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122915250133 ... 1555.l2649
AOMCC Treasurer
alanbrown

Re: Ariel Arrow points problem

Post by alanbrown »

Thanks for the suggestions Roger.Ive had another fiddling session this afternoon, and also changed my setting method to the 12volt lamp across the points.
Fact is , that with the main mounting plate as far clockwise as it will go, and the eccentric adjuster as far round as it will go, the points don't open.
The set of points that I bought have cleaned up well in respect of the contacts , but if the plastic heel is worn, would this affect the scale of adjustment? With the gap set at 0.015, I notice that the heel is not touching the cam, about 0.025 off,when the points are closed. The heel hits the ramp about half way up and the points start to open. If the heel was in contact with the cam before the ramp,this would give me a chance of getting the points to break within the adjustment provided.
Maybe I need a new set of contact breaker points?

Alan
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Just a thought Alan but is it possible that the points mounting plate is 180 degrees out ? I.E. Can the plate be mounted the opposite way round and if so will this solve your problem ? You may have to swap over the points wires if this works.
Good luck with it, Keith.
TonyBaxter

Post by TonyBaxter »

And make 100% sure the points are mounted flat on the plate. Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs, but any miss-mounting can easily put things out.
alanbrown

Post by alanbrown »

Keith, thanks for your help! I turned the whole plate through 180 degrees and bingo, points operating correctly and with plenty of adjustment. The eccentric cam makes setting the timing really easy.
So that was the answer, thanks to all who have suggested solutions. This is an excellent
Forum, I would have struggled without your help

Alan