clutch operating rod

Singles, twins and fours.
toms.goss

clutch operating rod

Post by toms.goss »

Help
1957 350cc red hunter which I have been rebuilding my problem is with the clutch operating rod which does not seem to be long enough to push the clutch plates apart, it is the right length at 9 1/2" also 3 clutch plates plane plus 2 cork plates for the modal also the ball bearing on the end of push rod is the right size.With the rod pushed in to the gear box, I have got about 1/8 of the rod sticking out the clutch side. I hope this makes sense to you if you can help please
I would be obliged
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Tom,
Have you tried adjusting the operating lever adjusting nut at the other end of the clutch operating pushrod (under the oval shaped cover held on by two screws near the kickstart) ? If not, then slacken off the cable adjuster and adjust the operating arm adjuster so that you have an quarter of an inch or so of free play at the end of the operating arm (where the cable nipple slots in) before the pushrod starts to lift the clutch pressure plate and once you are happy with this then adjust the cable adjuster, again ensuring you have sufficient free play at the handlebar lever.
All the best with it,
Keith Mettam.
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

<moved to 4-stroke tech help>
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
toms.goss

Post by toms.goss »

Hi Keith,
I have not got the cable on the bike yet I put the clutch plates in and clutch cover plus the 5 adjusting springs and I would have thought that it would have pushed the operating arm back in the gear box but it doesn't, I can push the operating arm in and out but it will not move the clutch plates if I put another ball bearing in it takes up the slack and will operate the clutch but that is not right,
Tom
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Tom you don't need the cable fitted to adjust the arm, although it does sound like you have rather a lot of free play to take up. If you haven't adjusted the arm yet, have a look and give it a go. You may be lucky there may be enough adjustment on the screw to take up the play. If there isn't then something is badly worn or something else is wrong. If you can't solve it, perhaps try running it with the two ball bearings (well greased) and see how you go ?
toms.goss

Post by toms.goss »

Hi Keith,
It as just registered as to what you said sorry to be a bit late my age yes I will try out that adjust meant on the gear box side, it is my first rebuild of an Ariel my bikes are AMC the burman gear box a little different on the adjustment side.
Regards Tom