Arrow electronic ignition

General electrical problems
les.brooks

Arrow electronic ignition

Post by les.brooks »

Just aquired an Arrow and I am interested in views as to whether electronic ignition and possible 12v conversion is particularly beneficial. (my previous experience with other bikes suggests yes). If it follows that it is also the case with the arrow, is conversion to 12volts also worthwhile, again if yes, is it a case of reconnecting the windings and where can I find a conversion wiring diagram.
thanks
Les
alan.richmond

Post by alan.richmond »

Les,

Pazon do an ignition kit for the Leader/Arrow, and they also do a kit including 12 volt regulator, with conversion instructions, including using your existing coils. It's worth converting as you bike is 50 years old, and all the electrics are getting tired, wires get a bit corroded and more resistive, and all connectors will suffer similarly. In a 12V system. only half as much current is flowing, so resistive losses are halved.

You need to change ALL bulbs, and the indicator flasher if fitted. The horn seems to work OK on 12V. Lots of info on the Ariel Two-stroke forum (You will need to join) at:

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/ariela ... adergroup/

and no, I don't know why they don't use this forum, as it is better structured than the Yahoo one. Maybe I'll get expelled for suggesting this!

Regards

Alan
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Alan, neither do we, but you're (as is any Ariel owner) always welcome here!
I'd like to think we give the smokers an equal go - although we're often hampered by our own lack of knowledge. Lots of us are here to learn about Ariels.
If you could talk a few 2 stroke owners into joining this forum, we could all benefit. The two groups aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure John won't excommunicate anyone because they are also a member of the yahoo forum!
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
les.brooks

Post by les.brooks »

Thanks guys
being new to the club, I had assumed thsi was the place, I will look at the yahoo forum