Successful Square 4 Ignition Upgrade

General electrical problems
mbovino

Successful Square 4 Ignition Upgrade

Post by mbovino »

I recently replaced the original points and condenser with an electronic ignition from AccuSpark (based in the UK). I selected AccuSpark over other similar offerings because they provide three different-sized trigger wheels (I also read the mixed success from Drags wherein the triggers were too tight and split). After corresponding with the maker I found that one would likely fit perfectly and in fact it does. There are a few other basic considerations such as observing polarity and using suppression type HT leads instead of OEM copper core wires (for the sake of higher résistance), but otherwise the swap was quite simple. I have produced a video to illustrate the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_6SOCdtao4

For those traditionalists that fear breakdown with electronic ignitions, the entire original works are preserved on the Bakelite plate. Simply keep the assembly along with a length of primary wire in the tool box. In the event of breakdown, swapping back will only take a matter of minutes with a few basic hand tools.

Best wishes, Mike
Last edited by mbovino on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham.Goral
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Successful Square 4 Ignition Upgrade

Post by Graham.Goral »

Can't access via this link. However I did find it by using a YouTube search string of "ARIEL SQUARE 4 IGNITION UPGRADE" :-)

Thanks for posting it - the bike looks and sounds great!
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

I found it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_6SOCdtao4
Thanks Mike,
Lovely bike.
Interesting to see the big air filters made to the US as well.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
mbovino

Post by mbovino »

Brenton, Thanks for the compliment. I'm not sure that air filter made it to the US as an original factory option. According to the gent that I bought it from, he hunted it down and imported it from Australia. Fitment also requires a smaller battery case and relocation of the horn to the front on an equally rare bracket.

And thank you for the link correction. Evidently I posted the "edit" version available only to the originator. I've corrected my original post.

By the way, is that Le Mans in your collection a Guzzi? Great bike! Besides the SQ4 I also own a 2001 V-11 Sport Rosso Mandello variant and a 2007 Griso, as well as a few collector cars. It's a disease, but at least my wife knows where I am at all times!
roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by roger.fellows »

Hope it's good Mike, I ordered one today. Thanks for the tip.

Roger
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Mike
very useful video and I'm half tempted to go to electronic myself.
What benefits have you noticed since fitting it? , Better starting, less or more battery consumption etc.

Bike looks beautiful by the way

Kind regards
Mark