ALTERNATIVE TO SRM

Anything about Ariels
dave.jones

ALTERNATIVE TO SRM

Post by dave.jones »

Can anyone help with any other companies, ideally based in the South of England, that carry out the timing bush to roller conversion?

I'm looking for somewhere that will do this, a bottom end rebuild including Crank balance and a re-bore.

I've seen Rob Wardle recommended, but he's in Gateshead!

SRM appear expensive for the work, or is it a case of you get what you pay for.

Any advice appreciated, I'm in Portsmouth.

Thanks

Dave
Moto Guzzi EV California, Suzuki GS750, Ariel FH 'Clone (WIP)
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Dave, You are correct about SRM, They certainly are not cheap, but there is just no doubt about their excellence, when they've done a job, it really is done right, and you don't have to worry anymore. SRM took over the "intellectual property" to the timing side bush/bearing job from Devimead, which gave them a clear head start. All that, is not suggesting that other firms can't also do a good job.
Good luck, Robin.
Mike.Morgan

Re: ALTERNATIVE TO SRM

Post by Mike.Morgan »

Dave,

I am just in the process of putting the finishing touches to my Huntmaster.

SRM have done the bush and a few other bits - crank balance, crack testing. The problem I found was that once you start doing these things, you think you may aswell spend extra on this and that - and before you know it you have spent a small fortune. I went for their oil pump, conrods, pistons etc etc all of which are real quality stuff. It almost seems a shame to hide them away out of sight!!!

Totally agree with Robin's comments about them being the experts, and getting what you pay for. They took me around their workshop and the trickery and attention to detail shows what you are getting for your money.

If you do decide to go with them, the guy on reception is a bit of a muppet. The guy you need to speak to is Gary - what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing.

Hope this helps!
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Steve McFarlane was one of the founders of SRM - I think he's now got his own engineering concern in Cardiff (he comes up in 'yell.com'), looks like he still does a lot of bike stuff.

I doubt if he'd be cheaper (I think you do get what you pay for) but he may be slightly closer.
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

I believe Steve McFarlane sold the manufacturing rights for the needle roller main bearing when ownership of SRM passed to others, although I don't know the exact ins and outs of what happened. Steve had originally made an improved plain main bearing conversion, which involved fitting a hardened steel sleeve and thrust washer to the ground down main bearing journal (useful to recoved a worn journal), and made a slightly longer plain bronze bush to suit, giving a larger bearing surface. The combination of hard/softer bearing surfaces lessened wear, and it was easier to replace the bush if needed.
However, demand for the roller bearing conversion was much higher, so his plain bearing option was dropped, although I thought it was fine for the average state of tune motor, and somewhat cheaper than the roller conversion. I would query if even the export spec Huntmaster needed a roller conversion, I was always more concerned to ensure the oil pump, pressure relief valve and oilways were clear of damage or blockage, to allow a full flow of oil to the bearing and big end journals.
In the last couple of years, Steve had developed an electric start system for BSA A7/10 and variants, which I have seen displayed and demonstrated at South Wales shows. It seems to work nicely and be well engineered, although I believe there is not much change out of £1000. Any queries should go direct to Steve, as I have not seen him recently. I don't know if it would be adaptable for those Arielist with weak legs and high comp pistons in their Huntmaster.
I have also heard it said that Steve takes a fairly laid back approach to timescales in his engineering work these days, and can sometimes be hard to contact, although I have no personal experience of this.
daithomas

Re: ALTERNATIVE TO SRM

Post by daithomas »

Hi Dave,
This link may be of interest to you. http://bsa-a10.hailwood.com/mybsaa10rol ... rsion.html

I belive there is a lot of scare mongering as regards to the servicability of the plain bearings used, a phospher-bronze bush possibly last most club members a lifetime or two, If it wears out just skim the shaft in a lathe and turn another bush, make from solid phosphor- bronze don't bush the steel backing.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

My concerns would be with the oil feed being through the (roller) bearing . I had a ZA7 (Star twin) BSA that I used hard. The bearing was a steel backed white metal lined plain bearing. The wite metal was re poured and bored to size and gave no trouble even though the engine was (as I say) given a hard time the bearing was the least of my worries.
For most of the work we would give them the original bearings would be adequate. Roller bearings can be a problem too. The Kombat 750 Norton had trouble when the crankshaft flexed with edge loading of the bearing. A copper-lead insert plain bearing with an indium overlay would be a long life bearing if the oil is kept clean. Nev