Bike Insurance. Who are you using? Advice please.

Bikes or not. Whatever
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Bike Insurance. Who are you using? Advice please.

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Are there any good alternatives to Carol Nash and Footman James for classic bike insurance? :?:

I've just got my renewal through and I'm horrified at the cost. I've been with Carole Nash for years but now might be the time to switch...as long as I don't have to go through too much hassle to prove "Agreed Value" on all of my bikes.

Which brings me to my next question. Is "Agreed Value" really worth it? I'm told if you don't have it, then "market value" applies in the case of a stolen bike, but in the case of one of my bikes, market value (based on recent auction prices) is significantly higher than my agreed value. I don't want to increase the latter because my premium will go up. It all sounds a bit chicken-and-egg and circular to me.

Any advice...please?
Paul
Dave.Barkshire

Re: Bike Insurance. Who are you using? Advice please.

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

I've bounced back between the two of them. It seems that once they have you they assume that you'll be too lazy to challenge the unaccountable hike in rates at the end of the year. If you phone after the renewal quote then they usually drop the price in a jiffy.

I have never had to call on a policy for an accident so can't comment on how good they actually are. However, it's a small community out here and they'd be nuts to play too hardball with us in the case of a claim. Anyway, they're just brokers at the end of the day.

CN used to be the best (IMHO) and they have now been absorbed by a large faceless corporation which means the drongo on the end of the phone don't know one end of a bike from the other. However, my dealings with CN have been mostly good and their service has been professional in tone. FJ on the other hand sound like they have very little organisational skills and can border on keystone cops at times.

Regarding agreed value.... FJ will give you agreed value up to 5k without any verification which is useful. CN needed verification regardless of value the last time I looked.

There are some smaller brokers trying to wriggle into the market and these may be keen to please. They advertise in the classic bike press and I'd imagine that they would give a more personal service and would probably try hard to please.
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

Look at my eclectic mix of motorcycles (below).
My wife is also on the policy and she's much younger than me.
I think we're around £250, which is mostly due to the later enfield and bonneville.

I've only been able to get ONE policy, for everything, from either Carole Nash and Footman James. Footman James were the cheaper; helped in part by the club scheme.
I have tried multiple quotes for each bike, with other places, but it came to around a grand.

My wife binned the boxer twin last year. It was insured for "Market value".
I submitted it's specs and some evidence of what they were going for and they coughed up, quickly and without fuss.
Ok. It was less than £2k and I am not sure of their policy when larger amounts are involved.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

I do not think I would be allowed to say what I think of Carol Nash on a public forum...
Wali T
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

Not that it helps much, I paid £80 this year for my 39 NH with FJ. This was an increase of £4 over last year. I am a born again biker with a clean licence and now one years bike no-claims. One road side recovery would cost more than that and hopefully be more likely than a crash. Keith.
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

I got quotes from both, seemed to have a few hoops to jump through. Eventually got a quote from Peter James (he co-founded FJ) based in brum and seem very reasonable - about £70 for a '57 VH, and they did not argue about AV or ask for anything.
Also worth mentioning that i'm 27 and added a Kawasaki Ninja to the policy for about £150, which is comparitively nothing.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
john.mitchell

Post by john.mitchell »

As you know Footman James do give the club a small commission (which adds up to over 4 figures in a year) and also give us a slightly preferable rate. I use them and I really believe they are the best of a pretty bad lot. Their admin could be improved but when I had reason to claim a few years back they were excellent. They have also brought Fay and I home from France very efficiently on one occasion. We also like the very good insurance cover we get abroad too.
I think that Paul is wrong in stating that they do not cover for a booked trip there and back to the MOT. I have been told verbally that a bike with no MOT is even covered on the return if it fails. However, like Paul, I am finding that getting this in writing is not a speedy operation. I will keep you posted
Editorjohn
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
john.mitchell

Post by john.mitchell »

Further to my last email I attach the reply I received from F/J.

FAO: John Mitchell - Editor Cheval de Fer

Dear John,

I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify Footman James' position with regards insurance cover and non MOT'd motorcycles. If it the case that the motorcycle is being ridden to a pre-arranged MOT appointment then the vehicle is covered in-line with the type of insurance they have with FJ (e.g. fully comp/TPFT). In other words, your member and our client's insurance cover is valid.

Kind Regards
Emma Bicknell
Marketing and Development Director
Footman James

NB Obviously if the bike fails on something major and you were picked up by the constabulary or you had an accident on the way back you would find it difficult to argue that you did did not realise you were using an unsafe vehicle

John Mitchell
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)