Original build sheet

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
Paul Ellwood

Original build sheet

Post by Paul Ellwood »

Hi All
Can anyone HELP. I am trying to track down the build sheet for my Arial 4g Reg- KFO 365 1953. It is registered with DVLA but they think it's a 1995 my Email paul.ellwood@hotmail.co.uk.
Regards
Paul Ellwood
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Original build sheet

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

My '56 swing-arm has date of reg as 1983 'cos that's when I got it re-registered, with the reg no it came with, never having had any of the proper reg docs.
That 1983 date is th eonly one that shows on the current registration docs but the DVLA do have 1956 as the build date inside the rest of the computer records and I don't have any probs with tax or MOT exemption.
So....have they got 1995 as the date of registration or the build date??
(If you need official authentication with the factory build details you'll need to follow the procedures to get a dating certificate from either the Vintage Club or the Ariel Club; if you just want to check for your own information there are date code details for engine and frame numbers - and gearboxes - on the Drags web site)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tstewart »

Sorry guys what is the build sheet, does the club have access to factory records?
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The Club has copies of the factory Despatch Books from 1927 to 1965 but the 1926 book is missing, as is the first book covering Leaders. For the appropriate sum, as mentioned on the website or in Cheval, the Archivist will provide a Dating Certificate which includes the factory Despatch Book data. The data will tell you which dealer the bike went to, engine and frame numbers, sometimes gearbox number, tyre details, magneto and carb details, any extras (such as "Pillion seat and footrests, speedo 100mph) and date of despatch. It will also give you a "Tab" number. The Tab number is the number by which the Works knew the bike and might be best considered as the detailed Order for the bike. For some particularly non-standard machines we sometimes get "see Tab for details" when there wasn't room in the column in the Despatch Book. I am not aware of any Tab details which have survived but I would love to be proved wrong.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tstewart »

Thanks I understand now.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.
Leslie.Ore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Leslie.Ore »

Bloody shame the 1926 book is missing.Is it 'missing' or known to be destroyed?
TonyBaxter
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by TonyBaxter »

KFO is an age-related plate isn't it ? Therefore irrelevant to searching for records, you need the frame/engine numbers. I owned an old '50's Gilera 150, Italian import, that had an XFO number.
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

The 1926 book is missing! Strange as this is also the year val page new models were sold! And he also designed the leader. Sounds like val himself stole them maybe as a keep sake? I'm not saying Mr page was a theif I have no idea about that, but it does make you think that's for sure.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The fact that the two missing books are from Val Page's first year at Ariel and the first year of the Leader production led Ralph Hawkins to wonder whether they were indeed in Val's possession. He contacted Val's family to ask the question, Val himself having passed away by this time. The Page family confirmed that there was no sign of either of the books amongst Val's effects.

The rest of the Despatch Books ended up in the Science Museum following a spell with the Metropolitan Police. My own theory (and we know how often my theories prove to be wrong) is that someone took these books as examples before the rest went to the Metropolitan Police. Perhaps they may surface one day but I wonder if they are sitting unknown in some collection relating to Birmingham's industrial past.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

It maybe just a strange coincidence from the missing books to val page and another factor involved. There's a chance at the missing books could of Been misplaced at one of there's previous homes. There's a chance they are still around unaware they have them. Be nice to find them and have the full set back together with club where they should be.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.