ET phone home....on 6V

General electrical problems
CFritz

ET phone home....on 6V

Post by CFritz »

my crossing through Paris last summer would'nt have been so easy without my little 6 to 12V contraption.

shopping list:
1 6 to 12V DC/DC converter, bought mine from Beck Electronics in the Netherlands 35 euros. https://www.beckelektronika.nl/
2 a car phone loader that goes into the lighter and fits your phone from any car parts shop or from Conrad
3 a classic look saddle toolroll for a bicicle to neatly store the contraption to your bike, cost 13,50 euros. an added advantage is that you can use the converter on any of your 6V bikes. mine is from Selle Monte Grappa (!).
4 a male female cable to disconnect the feed of the converter from the battery, I used a Ctec cable for this as I use the same plug for a Ctec 6V charger
5 a female plug that accepts the male lighter cable from any car parts shop or from Conrad

step by step:
1 solder the DC/DC converter to the female lighter cable, according to the scheme
2 conncet the cigarette lighter male plug to the female plug on the converter
3 put the whole unit in the saddle toolroll, hide it on the upper left frame under the saddle and Bob is your uncle!
4 disconnect the converter to your battery when you park your bike, connect it when you want to use it

this converter unit never failed me yet, and thanks to the European Union at no roaming cost with Google Maps
ET  phone.jpg
ET phone.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
chielzelf

1938 NG 1950 VB and Steib 2006 Scooter
iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: ET phone home....on 6V

Post by iansoady »

I've rigged up a simple version for my 12 volt bikes with a USB connector and converter. As the output is only 5 volts, I suspect it may work on a 6 volt system although I haven't tried it. I must do so......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50
iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by iansoady »

Yes it does - just tried it (on a pretty weedy 6v battery).

It's just one of these:

Image.

The adaptor is one readily available from ebay etc; I have a waterproof connector on the other end, which on my 12v bikes connects directly to the battery (I have a permanently connected matching connector for battery charger etc).

It would be easy enough to either wire through ignition switch / whatever or just unplug when not in use. I haven't looked to see what the current draw is.

Of course people with fancy iphones and the like may need something more complicated.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

I've been running a car Sat nav and usb ports to charge my phone whilst riding for some years now on a 6v system.
Only problem the sat nat is now old and given up
Tried my spare it's still working on the 6v system.most phones and sat navs run on 5.5v but expect the input voltage to be 8-12 volts and self regulate.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
iansoady
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by iansoady »

I think I've just fried mine as I managed to connect it the wrong way round......

I should put a diode in next time.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50