Total hip replacement

Bikes or not. Whatever
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Total hip replacement

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

Price of travel via public transport (train ) proved ridiculous so I stayed at home.
chris.taylor

Post by chris.taylor »

Hi Wali, I had my hip rebuilt after a fairly spectacular cycling crash a couple of years ago. You are probably fully recovered now but if you are frustrated and still walking with a wobble it is well worth doing extra strengthening exercises on the thigh. Surgeons often forget to mention how much damage they do to the thigh muscle and how long it takes to re-build strength. I found that I could walk well after about 9 months but still felt a bit uncoordinated and couldn't run any distance. By chance I found I could not work up stairs backwards, this uses different muscle groups compared to walking up stairs forward. One of my rehab. exercises was to stand on a step taking weight on damaged side, slowly lower other foot to lower step and then raise. I re-started this exercise, really persevered until I could walk up stairs backwards normally and have found dramatic improvement to coordination, running, cycling, everything. I wish someone had given me this tip a year ago. Good luck. Keep the rubber side down...
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Re: Total hip replacement

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

I was one of the lucky ones, three weeks to the day after the operation I was able to climb to the top of the Malvern Hills and walked ten miles each day after that. I was back at school (limp free) for the start of the academic year and have now forgotten about the implant.
My advice is to keep working out until the day of your op to keep the muscle groups from atrophying and hit the ground running after the surgery, when they did the surgical rounds and read my notes out I was rather proud of the following quote " Mr Taylor seems totally unaware of the concept of pain." I only had one session of physio and was discharged at the end of it.