The perils of linered cylinder barrels or how to loose your head

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
PaulMeredith

Re: The perils of linered cylinder barrels or how to loose your head

Post by PaulMeredith »

CIMG2808.JPG
CIMG2807.JPG
Hi John
I was not suggesting using that piston in a long stroke 500. 81.8mm bore +0.060 works out at 83.324mm . Therefore a suitable piston for 83.5 or 84mm bore would give you 2 more re-bores, without recourse to a liner.

Yes you are right barrels must be machined relative to the base flange. Too many have been wrecked working off the top. Yes you need a flange to mount the barrel and I bothered, See Picture. Picture shows a SF barrel set up for boring in my lathe and the removed liner sitting on bed. Picture 2 is the Wiseco piston I fit to Sloper short stroke engines.

Paul M
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

Good day,Paul.My rant was in no way a criticism of anyone,I was pointing out the pitfalls in taking ones barrel to a commercial reborer,such as I used to be.After the ease of dropping engine blocks on the main bores ,levelling the top face,and boring away,a single barrel is a nuisance you can do without.You cant charge for the time it takes compared to a car block,and unless you are expecting a rush of Ariel cylinders,you dont make a spacer you cant charge for as a one off.In fact it used to be that we redirected fiddly jobs to the opposition,and then would ask them to thank us for the favor.I remember in return they sent over a very old guy,90 if he was a day,and doddery ,with a tiny fixed head two stroke JAP cylinder from an ancient mower.Unfortunately they are all dead now,the humor is gone and replaced by orange jackets ,safety signs ,and closed workshops.
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

john.whiting wrote: replaced by orange jackets ,safety signs ,and closed workshops.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with orange jackets :lol: :lol:
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

I remember they once sent round a near hysterical woman with an antique toilet cistern to repair the valves.Her son had taken /broken it down without turning off the water.Good for many a laugh on Friday afternoon when we had a regular barbecue and beers.many beers,with workers from all the workshops in the street.The car mechanics were allways good for a laugh as they explained little incidents,like driving a Jag off a hoist and through the widows and landing on a car parked in the street,or a steering lever coming off while driving,or a forgotten oilseal.